East Plains Clearing

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
A shot of the Airsoft Gun battle clearing in the East Plains.

Approx. 2-3 acres have been cleared.

Attachments

• ©medici East Plains Illegal Clearing IMG_4248.jpg
    ©medici East Plains Illegal Clearing IMG_4248.jpg
    217.8 KB · Views: 333

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
What is the item that appears to be hanging from a tree branch in the center of the photo?.....also, I am sorry to be unfamiliar with this area...what is the Airsoft Gun battle?

Turtle

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
"Airsoft is a hobby/sport/discipline, wherein replica firearms (pistols, assault and sniper rifles, etc.) that shoot 6mm plastic rounds, are used for personal collection, gaming (similar to Paintball), or professional training purposes (Military Simulations and Police training exercises)."

I found this place about a month ago. Those things hanging are targets. Do you know who owns the land? It is amazing the amount of effort that went into it. Those benches are secured in place with rebar stakes... I wonder if the pellets are biodegradable.

watermark.php

watermark.php

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
"The states of New Jersey and Michigan, however, do not allow airsoft guns to be used and handled publicly, because of the resemblance to real firearms."

Hmmm.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Pancoast Yes shot is of the same location.

The land is owned (ahem) by DEP, it is identified as State Natural Area.

The owner (ahem) does not seem to be able to stop the area from being used this way.

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Each of us? Meaning we all own it?

I have tried asking the state and they could careless. They have major issues just keeping things going daily. (Of course now they will ask the state workers to give up even more as per yesterdays news)

A conservation officer was on sight Saturday. He refused to give me his name. He came to confront me as he thought I had a gun. It was my camera instead.

When I pointed out the place he was standing and told him my name.

He left.

Later when we met again in the pit area.

I asked his name again and a contact phone #. He told me to call the main number and speak to the person that I had already spoken to numerous times. I am assuming he is the conservation officer that told me in an email to report the issues to them. The person I have spoken to is Ray Portuski (spell?)

I have spoken and email and nothing has been done.

Fine, I will keep cleaning the area as I have, and as many of you have in various locations.

I have asked some persons to leave that are shooting real weapons as I find it a huge safety issue for cars passing on 539, or anyone hiking the east plains. As I do and as well many other persons. Including groups from various garden clubs in Pa and NY, or persons I bring down.

I have no problem with the air soft being used in the pit area, or in the trees. I just dont; agree such a large area should be cut when there are numerous other areas that can be used and are already free of trees - vegetation.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Each of us? Meaning we all own it?

I have tried asking the state and they could careless. They have major issues just keeping things going daily. (Of course now they will ask the state workers to give up even more as per yesterdays news)

A conservation officer was on sight Saturday. He refused to give me his name. He came to confront me as he thought I had a gun. It was my camera instead.

When I pointed out the place he was standing and told him my name.

He left.

Later when we met again in the pit area.

I asked his name again and a contact phone #. He told me to call the main number and speak to the person that I had already spoken to numerous times. I am assuming he is the conservation officer that told me in an email to report the issues to them. The person I have spoken to is Ray Portuski (spell?)

I have spoken and email and nothing has been done.

Fine, I will keep cleaning the area as I have, and as many of you have in various locations.

I have asked some persons to leave that are shooting real weapons as I find it a huge safety issue for cars passing on 539, or anyone hiking the east plains. As I do and as well many other persons. Including groups from various garden clubs in Pa and NY, or persons I bring down.

I have no problem with the air soft being used in the pit area, or in the trees. I just dont; agree such a large area should be cut when there are numerous other areas that can be used and are already free of trees - vegetation.

I feel your angst. Myself, and others, ran into the same attitude when trying to solve the issues at Webb's Bog. I'd suggest contacting the birding and garden clubs for support. Firearms violations should be reported to the Firearms Investigation Unit at (609) 882-2000 ext 6619. You will get a response. I know the birders can make a lot of noise. Persistence is the key, in the end the Webbs issue should be resolved this winter, without state support, but with their blessing. Good luck.

PancoastDrifter

Explorer
Dec 7, 2008
www.flickr.com
I was up there today doing some time lapse stuff.

...not just for Airsoft anymore...

IMG_02431.JPG

Also, all the Airsoft pellets are not biodegradable. There are thousands everywhere on the ground. :argh:

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
Interestingly no one from the state will do anything to prevent this issue or that of the illegal gun shooters.

All that is needed are telephone poles along entry and some signs.

PSEG has offered free poles to DEP, but they need to be picked up and delivered.

As you can see from the air soft location most target have been shot up by someone with guns.

Again when I complain to state they do not care.

Someone has also been cutting along the path that goes from the pit area north to simms place road, perhaps to help them walk along it.

Hope to meet you out there someday.