Electrofishing A NJ Stream

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is interesting. I enjoyed that video.

I have been fishing in the same lake in Vermont for 40 years and I am certain there are less fish than years ago. So I wrote the Fish and Game in Vermont and learned that the fish they stock has their fins cut as shown in this video.

Here is one paragraph from the email they sent me.

As of 2006 we discontinued stocking lake trout (yearlings stocked in the spring in the 6”-8” range). Since 1994 we had removed the adipose fin from all lake trout we stocked, so we could recognize them as being from our stocking when they were caught later. Based on angler reports, our direct observations capturing fish, and by examining anglers’ fish during our “creel surveys”, it appeared that very few of the stocked lake trout were showing up, while nearly all the ones that we examined had the adipose fin, meaning they were the result of natural reproduction. Seeing no direct angler benefit from the lake trout stocking, we suspended it. We expect that the discontinuation has virtually no bearing on the size of the lake trout population and anglers’ lake trout catch.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It was one of the most informative personal emails I have ever received from an individual who worked for a state agency. I wrote my cousin who's place I was staying at and sent him the letter. He writes back...

It's nice to live in a small state were folks actually care and answer your questions.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery

Pine Baron

Explorer
Feb 23, 2008
Sandy Run
this is how the good ol' boys do it.

I've read about noodling before, but never saw it. Thanx for posting this, Jeff. I'm not a big fan of catching those slimy devils on a hook and line, let alone alone sticking my arm down a hole so a 45lb cat will swallow it!
I'll stick with my bass; easy to lip... easy to release. Or even pineland pickerel. The good ol' boys can keep the catfish.

John-

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Being an avid fly fisherman, especially for trout, I've been able to witness this a few times on NW Jersey rivers. You should see some of the brutes that are in those waters. Guess thats how they got so big, no one can catch them and if they did they were released. Neat video.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
I can just see it now...some dummy is going to take a car battery into a stream and hope to clean house:D He'll probably not think to wear rubber waders either.:bang:

Dear Mr. Woodjin,
As of 2006 we stopped stocking dummies. Since 1994 we have removed the waders from all of the dummies that we released into NJ waters so we could recognize them as being from our stock when they were recovered later. Based on our reports the only dummies being recovered are not wearing waders. This finding has forced us to suspend the stocking of dummies into NJ waters, as this has virtually no bearing on the amount or size of the native species dummies that naturally reproduce in the area.......

:rofl::rofl::rofl:

NJBill

Explorer
Sep 10, 2008
Hamilton (Mercer County)
I can just see it now...some dummy is going to take a car battery into a stream and hope to clean house:D He'll probably not think to wear rubber waders either.:bang:

Jeff

This had me cracking up! I far too easily painted a picture in my head of somebody trying it! A much needed laugh after a tough day! Thanks Jeff.