Eureka Gun Club, Black's Bridge, Etc.

Oct 25, 2006
http://www.topozone.com/map.asp?lat=39.87153&lon=-74.34321&size=m&u=4&datum=nad27&layer=DRG

I will start off by saying that an important letter was mailed at the Vincentown P.O. today, hoping for a positive reply next week.

We went in off of rt.539 making a right hand turn below Webb's Mills Branch, instead of going to the gun club right away we decided to go to carusoville first, we actually went out to lacey road first, then back on dover, good luck road, noticed a bamber lakes fire truck turning toward carusoville, got out to chat for a while, said there was a call of smoke coming from carusoville, followed him in, luckily no fire, how many houses were here at one time?, noticed the curbing for the street.

Then he proceeded to tell us about he took he son fishing out here, was stopped by a game warden and was fined $72, saying he did not know you could not be in there after 9:00 p.m, he did not fight the ticket, i would have, maybe there were signs at one time stating this, but, there were no visible signs that i saw saying this, the warden could have gave him a warning, but it is all about revenue today, he said the warden is known as one tough s o b.

Left carusoville to go to the gun club, noticed private property signs, there goes my winter exploring to it, unless someone knows the owners and i will write them for permission. Damnit.

Where i have the target symbol could i have taken that road to the known elevation where aserdaten is, was?

I was a little wary of going down the road past black's bridge to a little west of where the cedar bridge fire tower ruin site is, but it was no problem, are they maintaining this?, new sand, gravel, and it looks graded somewhat.

Also noticed on rt.539 yellow and orange marked survey spikes, for the mowers? or are they planning on widening the road? I hope not.

Went to well's mills park, the nature center was closed when we got there, i wanted to pick up some trail maps which German said are available there, will go earlier next saturday.

We then went to site of the original albert brothers homestead, the cul de sac was the worst road i encontered all day, sugar sand but i got through it. Three other vehicles were parked there.

Finished up the day talking with Autumn and other pineys at the tavern about our travels for the day, over some refreshing cold yuenglings :guinness:,off to home, all in all a great day to be in the pines,best of all no damn ticks, this was a driving scouting tour for the winter, i am po'd though about the eureka site.

Also noticed that where you make the turn from rt.72 onto rt.532 east, that on the south side of rt.532 almost up to jones rd. that there are alot of for sale signs, here we go with more houses.

How long ago did the eureka site become private property?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

It sounds like you had a good day. Thanks for posting.

The Eureka gun club property has always been private. Here is a survey map from the 1800's that shows it was the home of Zebulon Colliers. The long arrow pointing upward is telling us where Black's bridge is. His house is 237 feet from the bridge.

zeb01.jpg

Then the various gun clubs have owned it, and now it is in private ownership of an individual.

Guy

autumn_mist

May 28, 2007
Pemberton, NJ
Glad to hear you made it out with no ticks, that is always a postive thing. Thank you again for loaning me your book, I am finding it very informative.

Oct 25, 2006
Glad to hear you made it out with no ticks, that is always a postive thing. Thank you again for loaning me your book, I am finding it very informative.

No Problem, Forgotten Towns OF South Jersey written by The Reverand Beck started me on my pine barrens jouneys.

Oct 25, 2006
All

I will be in the Whiting area this afternoon showing my friend the site of
Boyd's Hotel, i then intend to go back to the Aserdaten area since i need to check out some roads in the area, and to get a better visualization of the area. Driving tour only again. This driving tour is for this coming winter's explorarions.

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Then he proceeded to tell us about he took he son fishing out here, was stopped by a game warden and was fined $72, saying he did not know you could not be in there after 9:00 p.m, he did not fight the ticket, i would have, maybe there were signs at one time stating this, but, there were no visible signs that i saw saying this, the warden could have gave him a warning, but it is all about revenue today, he said the warden is known as one tough s o b.

Was the area he was fishing a state Wildlife Management Area? I fish Winslow WMA often and the best time to fish is at night as the lake is spring fed and very clear. The fish usually don't bite during the day. I've never been fined, but I think I should check the regulations.

Oct 25, 2006
Boyd and Piker, sorry i do not know how to split and highlight your names.

I did not see any signs anywhere saying it was a wildlife management area, the man said he was nailed for being in the carusoville area after 9:p.m. which he did not know about.

I think other people, probably one or more on this site have been chased out of there even in daytime.

I think there is a problem with mischief in that area, starting fires probably being the best reason.

To the wildlife management area, if it is or not, i think the best person to answer the question, would be Bob, who resides around there somewhere.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Bob would know, but the greenwood WMA surrounds it. Maybe carusoville is different because of vandalism problems.

Piker, it is your call but I wouldn't sweat it...fishing at night. How accessible is the winslow WMA to fish and game wardens?

Jeff

piker56

Explorer
Jan 13, 2006
Winslow
Boyd, Thanks for the link. I checked it and it looks like after hours fishing is in. Also to Jeff, Winslow is the regional headquarters for WMA's so if you're going to get checked anywhere, it would be Winslow! I've had wardens talk to me while they are on patrol alot. There are 2 ponds, the one pond is stocked, that's only about 1/2 a mile from the HQ building. The other pond I fish is not stocked and not fished as hard. The Great Egg Harbor River in the WMA is rarely fished.