Excessive Heat

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Is this really such a big surprise?

Since there is no global warming, I believe it must be the new cow feed, which is making them significantly more flatulent. According to Nat Geo, the last 5 years were the hottest ever recorded. I can only hope, for the sake of my grandchildren, that farmers change back to the old formula.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I recall June of 88; temps as we just had for an extended time and a drought. We had just moved into our new home. The west was burning with over 72,000 fires; Yellowstone began to burn on June 30th and burned until November; about 250 fires; about 800,000 acres, NPS closed down the park, they almost lost the Old Faithful Inn. Seasons like these occur from time to time, just as our cold and snowy winters do.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Seasons like these occur from time to time, just as our cold and snowy winters do.

By all means, if it makes you feel better, stick to your script.

From the NOAA website. "Nine of the 10 warmest years have occurred since 2005, with the last five years comprising the five hottest."

If you know something about statistics, perhaps you see a trend here.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Since there is no global warming, I believe it must be the new cow feed

Was it really necessary to "go political" here? My comment had nothing to do with climate change (which does concern me, for the record), I was really thinking about how the media is covering it. I think it's been established (at least for me) that "climate" and "weather" are not the same thing. My only point is that I've seen other comparable hot spells in the 25+ years I've lived in the pines. That tells us nothing about overall trends, and I'm willing to trust what scientists say about that.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
By all means, if it makes you feel better, stick to your script.

From the NOAA website. "Nine of the 10 warmest years have occurred since 2005, with the last five years comprising the five hottest."

If you know something about statistics, perhaps you see a trend here.

I'm feeling just fine, thank you. A bit warm, but that will pass. Script? Is that what the 'Warmers' are using? As far as statistics, isn't that what someone would use when they don't have facts? Show me someone, anyone, that can give an accurate month's forecast.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
I'm afraid that warming really is not going to pass, but perhaps data is irelevant to you. This is from that famous "warmer" website, NASA.

Last edited:

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
Was it really necessary to "go political" here? My comment had nothing to do with climate change (which does concern me, for the record), I was really thinking about how the media is covering it. I think it's been established (at least for me) that "climate" and "weather" are not the same thing. My only point is that I've seen other comparable hot spells in the 25+ years I've lived in the pines. That tells us nothing about overall trends, and I'm willing to trust what scientists say about that.
I am not sure how you think discussing the weather is political. You are talking about the heat. I am talking about the heat in the larger, most obvious, context.

This IS the Nature and Environment area of the website correct?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
When the headlines change from an 'extremely likely' to something more definitive, I just might show some interest.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Dropped all the way down to 72 here within about 15 minutes, poured hard then and I got caught in it! It was hot and muggy at midday, but there was a steady breeze with frequent gusts that were very refreshing in spite of the heat.

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
You're right Boyd. I just got hot under the collar. The elephant in the room was leaning against me.