Exotic and nongame wildlife permit questions

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
I have been looking into this for some time and it is confusing. I am looking into possibly getting a bobcat and I was wondering how to go about getting a permit to own one. I found a breeder in Montanna that breeds and sells them. It is Bitterroot Bobcat and Lynx. Also i see that no permit is required for a snapping turtle and a painted turtle but before i thought the only turtle not requiring a permit was a snapping turtle. Any info would be greatly apperciated.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have been looking into this for some time and it is confusing. I am looking into possibly getting a bobcat and I was wondering how to go about getting a permit to own one. I found a breeder in Montanna that breeds and sells them. It is Bitterroot Bobcat and Lynx. Also i see that no permit is required for a snapping turtle and a painted turtle but before i thought the only turtle not requiring a permit was a snapping turtle. Any info would be greatly apperciated.

Check the link to NJ F&W; scroll down to the section titled 'Other'. Within it are all the rules & regs for nongame & exotic's. Pay particular attention to the link regarding 'potentially dangerous wildlife'.

Might want to consider doing yourself, your insurance agent and the cat a favor and adopt a domestic feline.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/njregs.htm#other

sandcast69

Jan 4, 2010
Mays Landing, N.J.
Are you thinking of having this animal as a pet or for display in an outdoor enclosure? Just keep in mind that these animals are wild, whether you get it from a breeder and hand raise it or not, it's a wild animal and possess's the ability to seriously mame or kill you. Don't let their size fool you, they have a formidable set of teeth and claws.
I worked as a zookeeper for 5yrs and have firsthand experience in caring for these animals.
They are not pets!
Here's what I could find.
http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/dangrspp.htm

Please contact the Exotic and Nongame Permits Office with your questions at (908) 735-5450 or email EXOTICPERMITS@dep.state.nj.us.

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
Check the link to NJ F&W; scroll down to the section titled 'Other'. Within it are all the rules & regs for nongame & exotic's. Pay particular attention to the link regarding 'potentially dangerous wildlife'.

Might want to consider doing yourself, your insurance agent and the cat a favor and adopt a domestic feline.

http://www.state.nj.us/dep/fgw/njregs.htm#other

Don't forget to include the neighbors, his kids, any other pets he might own. I really don't understand the impulse to own these types of animals.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I seriously doubt that NJ will let you have one.If you get a licensc as a wildlife rehabilitator then it's a possibility to have one your rehabilitating and some can never be released into the wild if their injury is too severe but just to have a pet,I doubt it.You need a permit to pass gas in this state so don't get your hopes up.
Al

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
I would want to keep it as a pet and it would live in the house as my other cats do. The website is confusing to me and it seems like you need a permit to keep anything and it is hard if not impossible to get a permit so therefore you can not keep anything legally.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
The state will not allow you to keep a bobcat or any wild feline. It's still considered a wild feline even if it's domestic bred. Plus you state that you would keep it in your house with your domestic cats. Bobcats will not cohabitate with small domestic cats. They will eventually kill the cats. I know many people that live in Texas who have tried to keep either bobcats or cerval cats and they will attack and kill smaller prey. It's just in their nature.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Daved
I'm serious.If you go up to a friend and say here,pull my finger,you better have the permit in the other hand.This is the most over regulated state in the country.Sadly many people that live here don't seem to realize it or care.Why do you think there are so many beer bottles in the woods?If you get caught with an empty container you will be finde wether you were actually driving drunk or not.Hell if I drank I'd heave it out the winder too.You can get in trouble for hauling beer bottles out of the wood even when full of dirt to prove their age.I use to pick up trash and bag it out when in the woods but I leave bottles lay now.Stupid laws made by stupid people.same with tires,costs to get rid of them legally and then they recycle them and make more money.
Al

sandcast69

Jan 4, 2010
Mays Landing, N.J.
If your looking for an exotic looking cat that will get along with everyone in your house try an Egyptian Mau. Beautiful feline, completely domesticated, and no permit required.

daved

Scout
Jan 9, 2006
burlington county
yea there are way too many laws in this state. you have to be a lawyer to understand some of them. I understand bob cats are a "wild" cat but being bred in captivity, fed a good diet and raised by a person they can become tame and they get along with other pets. It is all in how a pet is raised and cared for. Any pet like a pit bull can be the nicest dog in the world but if not raised correctly will become a very mean dog. People have mountain lions as pets or other wild animals and they do not attack the owners. You dont hear on the news about somebody that has a wild animal as a pet and how it does this or that you will only hear about such an animal when it gets loose or does something bad. you dont hear about good pit bulls you just hear about the ones that attack a person. Thats just my opinion and everybody is entitled to one.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
yea there are way too many laws in this state. you have to be a lawyer to understand some of them. I understand bob cats are a "wild" cat but being bred in captivity, fed a good diet and raised by a person they can become tame and they get along with other pets. It is all in how a pet is raised and cared for. Any pet like a pit bull can be the nicest dog in the world but if not raised correctly will become a very mean dog. People have mountain lions as pets or other wild animals and they do not attack the owners. You dont hear on the news about somebody that has a wild animal as a pet and how it does this or that you will only hear about such an animal when it gets loose or does something bad. you dont hear about good pit bulls you just hear about the ones that attack a person. Thats just my opinion and everybody is entitled to one.

There is a new cable TV show being advertised that focuses on this very thing. It's got a catchy title; 'Fatal Attractions' :D Have never seen it.

http://animal.discovery.com/tv/fatal-attractions/

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Daved, I am curious as to what it is about domesticating a wild animal that interests you? Do you have a particular fondness/interest in Bobcats? Is it the challange of changing the nature and surpressing the instincts of the animal? Or are you looking for a really good conversation piece?:D

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I have a so called domestic cat here in the house.He supposedly comes from a long line of domesticated cats that started from the Egyptian wild cat about 3500 years or so ago and were kept as pets by the Pharohs.He has yet to really become domesticated.While domestic dogs are very different then their wild counterparts and if turned loos in the woods would no doubt die unless they found another human to care for them not so with a cat.They make out quite fine by themselves in the woods for the most part being solitary hunters by nature.My cat still does things that make me want to wring his neck and no they are not things you would expect from a "domesticated"animal.I think trying to keep a Bobcat in the house would be asking for bou coup trouble.Even if the cat from a kitten learned to trust you and wasn't a danger it still would do intolerable things to your house and if you didn't get it fixed as it matured it would become dangerous regardless of how good you were to it.Mine attacks me from out of nowhere,he's an ambush expert and sinks his teeth into my leg unawares.I have encouraged this meaness by roughing him up so it's partially my fault but i could just imagine being ambushed by a cat that weighs in at 35 lbs.
I know of a survival expert who claims to have been in the northwoods in winter and was wearing a buffalo robe and was in the act of climbing a tree to get a better vantage point of where he was when he was slammed from the back against the tree by a Lynx that he saw as he hit the ground.The cat upon realizing it was a man and not a deer or bison climbing the tree{not a rocket scientist cat i presume} took off like a bolt leaving this fellow with a bloody face from trying to eat tree.
Think about this,it's what they do.
Al