Exploring Along The Wesickaman Creek Near Atsion

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Manumuskin and I took advantage of the nice weather and spent the morning and early afternoon exploring in the area of the Wesickaman Creek near Atsion. This was a new area for us and we as usual were looking for stones. Before getting to the area we were interested in we came up this just over the edge of private property on state land. Now I hate to admit this but I have no idea what these are. Any help?

IMG_4121.JPG

IMG_4122.JPG

Then to the stones. Here are two large stones just sticking out of the ground. Each property owner wanted to mark their corner. I am confident these date back to at least the Fruitland era.

IMG_4128.JPG

Another stone with a little help for us to find it.

IMG_4136.JPG

We then were in a dilemma. Should we go back to the car and head to our next location from 206, or should we go straight through the woods. Fortunately, we decided for the woods route and we stumbled on 4 stones, or maybe two with both being broken in half.

IMG_4138.JPG

We found two antlers. One of them was quite large.

IMG_4139.JPG

Did I tell you Al broke through the ice? Well, he did. :D

IMG_4140.JPG

IMG_4141.JPG

More proof. Click the link.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/02222014/IMG_4143.jpg

And finally, a portion of our tracks for that area

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/02222014/tracks_2222014.jpg

Guy

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Yes I'd really like to know what those nuts were.There were literally tons of them piled up in hills and it looked like there had been more but some were taken.
I'd say some of the most dangerous or at least scary bushwacking is done on wet weak ice.It was too strong to stomp through but when you got up on it you knew you were going to break through but never knew when.Then the fun part,you don't know what your going to land on or in.Shin deep? Hip deep? Then you quite possibly can come down on the ice you broke which is now tilted on some underwater object and will quite promptly dump you on your face.The snow was pretty much all gone and deep snow can be exhausting especially in a swamp but the ice scares me when I know it's weak.

Reactions: johnnyb and dogg57

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Interesting find. It looks like someone was trying to raise nuts? They may have, and then something went wrong...got cold too fast or something?

Reactions: janwor

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Look to be about 1/2". Did you open any of them? Appear to have been dumped there and apparently wildlife doesn't like them.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They were dumped for sure. There is much more at that location than my photo shows.

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Excellent report, felt like I'd been with you.
... but not with Al on that ice.
How come only he went thru?
How were those piles of nuts gotten back into the woods? Far too much for manual movement, but where are the vehicle tracks?
Could you guess how long they'd been there?
Neat mystery......

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes it was Wharton.

They are on Wharton property but they were put there by the adjacent property owner for sure.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They look like them. But for what purpose are they there?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
There is an acorn cap lying in the middle of the close up but it has just fell there.Those are definitely not acorns,at least not from any native oak.The adjacent farm may have horse/livestock?Could it be leftover husks from something they are eating?