Exploring Along The Wesickaman Creek Near Atsion

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yes, it was just a guess with the gum. I had a question mark after gum (?) when I drafted that post. I took it out, didn't think anyone would care or notice if I got it wrong, and it did not add to my attempt at humor.

Reactions: Ben Ruset

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I forgot who made that reply.I thought Guy said it was gum.I was out there looking for a cedar snuggled up to a gum and I remember thinking that didn't look like gum bark.When i found the tree I said that is definitely not gum bark.I looked up and seen beech leaves which is much more common down here then up there. Then again the whole Wesickaman swamp is full of poison ivy and virginia creeper growing up cedar trees no less.A very odd barrens swamp.Didn't mean to destroy the humor there.I took it as a literal description.I tried to go west from the stone to the north south ridge Guy and I had accessesd from the other direction a year or so ago.I didn't make it across.It is a real mess.everything you grab has poison ivy on it.In between hummocks in the wat so you either stuck or your pulling yourself out with a poison ivy vine.I"m waiting to see the blisters now.er the mud is crotch deep

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It is really hard to determine what the letter is. It may be an I.

IMG_0564a.jpg

Al..... you missed this.....

IMG_0561a.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jess and I looked for another corner of that tract today but came up empty. The zero is minus 8 degrees CCW.

look.jpg

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Whats even more odd is my Buddy missed that shed as well.He collects them and has already found half a dozen this year. Were you down in the Wesickaman swamp proper? It's rough and full of Poison Ivy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No. We traveled further past the stone to where I have a distance to another corner. However, the info was from the 1700s and has no mention of a stone. The stone we found doesn't either so I was hoping to find one. No such luck. I was tired after doing that maze. On the way out on about the same path as you and I both took Jessica found the shed. Actually, it was on the way in.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Guy have you ever crossed Wesickaman Swamp west of the stone? It was bad,I"ve been in harder but the ivy was on almost every available handhold and hummock.I haven't got it so I must have been very careful.A couple of times I leaned on trunks only to look up and see I was on a hairy vine and I grabbed one once to steady myself before I realized it.If you don't break them open you should not get it.The urushiol is not on the surface of the leaves or vines unless broken or punctured by insects.vey easy to bruise the leaves though,vines are a little tougher.I got it once metal detecting and digging through roots i was unaware of.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
We didn't cross the main swamp,we crossed the western side and went as far as the middle ridge but themain swamp where the creek if you want to call it that runs through,we didn't cross that half.It's only about 600 ft from the stone on the swamps edge to the ridge but it's a mean 600 feet.I would only go back with gloves.so lucky I didn't get poison.Virginia creeper all through there too,a very odd barrens swamp.