Exploring the Hot Spots

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

We explored the burned area early this morning by crossing the Plastic Bridge and walking south of Atsion Lake. Our first find was this old unused road.

IMG_1526.JPG

Even after a fire that hot the pine needles are still dropping.

IMG_1527.JPG

Some area’s are crispy.

IMG_1532.JPG

The Atco spur road in the distance. BTW, Salters Ditch has been repaired and you can drive that road now.

IMG_1533.JPG

IMG_1534.JPG

In some area’s there was still smoke coming from the ground.

IMG_1535.JPG

A nice rise.

IMG_1539.JPG

We came upon a location that obviously was a tree disposal location. All of the trees still had leaves on them but had been pulled or pushed out of the ground. Some were really large. The amazing thing is there are no roads leading to this place, and there are no tracks. They had to have been carried by a helicopter.

IMG_1540.JPG

IMG_1541.JPG

IMG_1542.JPG

IMG_1543.JPG

IMG_1544.JPG

Plenty of interesting views.

IMG_1549.JPG

I enjoy seeing old roads!

IMG_1550.JPG

Jessica is vertically challenged. Her foot became stuck and down she went. I told her she had to ride home in the trunk.

IMG_1551.JPG

Not so hot at the pipe graveyard.

IMG_1554.JPG

A panaramic.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/10262008/pan.jpg

Both Jessica and I agree the devastation at Warren Grove was more severe than here. Maybe it just seems that way because of the small tree size at Warren Grove.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Guy, I was there too today. I was suprised, I expected it to be worse. It was interesting to see how resilent this environment is to fire. I did bump into of forestry guy who was totally dumbfounded as to why I was out there....I explained didn't do much good.

mike242424

Explorer
Feb 17, 2007
Tabernacle
did u happen to hit the road jsut across 206 from ninas cafe and georges in dutchtown area. Some good spots down there. and yes how big and intense this fire was i was expecting worse but who knows.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We first ran into three older men riding trail bicycles. They were much older than me so they were old :) This was around 9 or so and they had ridden quite some distance. They were nice. From then on it was only us until on the way back as we paralleled the Atco Spur Road we saw a forest fire truck which slowed down to check us out. Then we ran into two woman on the Atco Spur Road looking and listening for birds.

Here is our tracks. We just wandered around until we felt we just had enough time to get home. The Plastic Bridge is at the far top left.

tracks.jpg

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
I had hoped to run into you on the cleanup. Sorry we missed you. Every extra hand that close in the vicinity would have been welcome.

g.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I had hoped to run into you on the cleanup. Sorry we missed you. Every extra hand that close in the vicinity would have been welcome.
Extra hands that were that close in the area are always a plus.

g.

George,

I always have limited time and I was home around noon. I have so much going on and to be concerned about, that I have to concentrate on what interests me the most in order to keep some sanity. Just ask Manumuskin how much time I have spent on my hobby in the last 3 days. I just can't have other distractions. I am sorry.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
You may have read a little too much into that. Probably the redundacy of my statement. Our group had a good supply of hands.
g.

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
Fantastic! I bet Jessica said a bad word when she fell.

I wish we had the time to go and explore this weekend. I love seeing what becomes uncovered in the wake of a fire. It's incredible how it leaves completely clean spots, like a big broom came in and swept out all the underbrush.

jmaul

Dec 11, 2007
Nice pics, Guy....thanks for sharing.

As I look at them, all I can visualize is the emerging green that will be, come Spring.

Jeff

usafvet

Sep 15, 2008
Little Egg Harbor
Were those trees possibly taken down by one of the Forest Fire Services' "Wide Track" Dozers? Any markings on the bark? I'm a member of the NJFFS and thats the only thing it looks like... but not being there who knows?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
George,

I always have limited time and I was home around noon. I have so much going on and to be concerned about, that I have to concentrate on what interests me the most in order to keep some sanity. Just ask Manumuskin how much time I have spent on my hobby in the last 3 days. I just can't have other distractions. I am sorry.

Guy

i can vouch for Guy, he is quite focused.I have offered to show him some of the historical sites down here in the midst of our stone hunting but he doesn't have the time,he has a few hours to play (stone hunt) one day a week maybe and then right back to the grind.We're working on a couple maps at the moment and we're pulling mental gymnastics trying to find the first stone on each which is always the hardest.You see stones hide,they quite often pretend to be stumps or clumps of moss,they camo themselves with lichen and can be very quiet as you draw near,they can hold their breath seemingly forever.Theirs one thing they can't do and that is move so their camo has to be perfect.The first stone found on a survey will often lead to the others so the first stone found is thereafter looked on as a stooge by the others so in order to avoid having his stone busted and being ostracised by the rest each stone will go to great lengths to remain hidden even going as far as to gradually sink into the earth till just the top is peeping out or better yet hidden under leaves.i think this is quite unfair but haven't been able to address my grievance to anyone who cares.I also believe they purposely interfere with the functioning of a gps also.when i get close my gps often starts jumping by dozens ,sometimes hundreds of feet and makes it very hard to pinpoint a coordinate.this is plainly cheating.Stones are not to be trusted under any circumstances and they can on occasion be violent.One time one jumped up and smacked me hard across the knee and on another one was hiding between my feet and would've done who knows what if my wife hadn't spied it at the last second.
Thanks for letting me vent.
Al

gipsie

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
atlantic county
I saw a few spots still smoldering between Sandy Causeway and Flemming Rd. this was around 430 Sunday.

We must have seen a lot of you out there and not realized it. I was there with a group Sunday afternoon...

There were quite a few spots still smoldering. I also thought the damage would be much more severe than it was. We hiked and rode and hiked some more. It was so....quiet.