Exploring Wharton Today

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

We spend the morning and early afternoon exploring with Lost Town Hunter all over the place today. We started in the South Park area visiting a few locations that Lost Town Hunter wanted to show me, and from there we headed to the Apple Pie Hill area because I noticed some disturbance on HistoricAerials I wanted to check out.

This location is right at the end of the straight road when you enter off of 532 to go to Apple Pie Hill. Basically, if you forgot to turn right on the long straight road leading to Apple Pie Hill you would end up where we were.

The location at the end of Ringler Road

http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.80991909867671&lng=-74.5762125402689&z=15&type=h&gpx=

aph_area.jpg

We did found a hole which could have been a well or outhouse hole. I really just don't know what this area was used for. Maybe the construction vehicles for Chatsworth Woods were stored there??? This appears to date back as far as 1931.

IMG_2544.JPG

We then visited the more remote set of brick pillars by crossing over the cable across the road there.

Jessica with her new hiking jacket she wants to use on PBX hikes in place of her pack.

IMG_2546.JPG

IMG_2548.JPG

IMG_2549.JPG

We visited a few other locations and eventually we arrived at Quaker Bridge to look for the sawmill that pinelandpaddler found near there and mentioned in another post.

http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/sawmill-locations.5379/page-5#post-105088

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
There is a nice loop there that comes back around to the road to Apple Pie Hill. It is one of the areas i hike with Jack often. If you continued past the pillers, did you notice the pit on the right? I found some old garbage in it but not much else. Seemed like a borrow pit, but for what? I also search for some of the old house locations in there but haven't found any foundations.

Jeff