Fall on the Atsion Burn --- A PBX Trip

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
I don't think China's quality has spiraled down Bob, it was never there to begin with. I do everything possible to avoid buying Chinese anything.
The Chinese are not our friends.

Reactions: dragoncjo

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I would say that it was there for a very long time. The scales, which are what you grip on a knife, are long gone and only the pins that held them in place are in the handle. My guess is that it had wooden scales that long ago rotted and then burned away. If it had synthetic scales, I think there would be some melted residue on the shank and there is not.

I am a knife collector of sorts and I believe this was a Marbles Bowie-style knife because of the bumpout in the bottom of the blade and the shape of the guard. Marble's started making knives in Gladstone, MI in the late 1800's and I have two stacked leather gripped Marble's Ideals that belonged to my grandfather. I was also lucky enough to buy a new stacked leather Marble's Woodcraft before they started going Chinese. :mad:

Take a look at the center Bowie-style knife in the second photo down showing (3) Marble's Bowie knives in this link. The blade that I found is a close match for a Marble's Bowie with the bump beneath the blade and the three small scale pins.

That was a great find.

Reactions: RednekF350

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
That was a great find.
After two days of applying rust remover jelly, vigorous wire brushing and wire wheeling, I got to see some good metal. I also got all three brass scale pins moving freely. Not quite what I was hoping for because I could not find a manufacturer's name on the base of the blade. My wife thought I was insane and said she wished I put this much effort into doing things around the house. I pretended I didn't hear her. :)

I used a mill bastard file and an oil stone to put an edge on it that will cut you finger off. The steel is extremely hard and the file barely did anything to it. It was reasonably sharp after just removing the rust.

Attachments

• IMG_0874.jpg
    IMG_0874.jpg
    113.4 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0880.jpg
    IMG_0880.jpg
    106.5 KB · Views: 103
  • IMG_0881.jpg
    IMG_0881.jpg
    112.2 KB · Views: 98
  • IMG_0883.jpg
    IMG_0883.jpg
    174.3 KB · Views: 101

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Yeah, that must have quite a bit of chrome in it to have that much material remaining. I used to carry a buck knife on my belt when I camped, but I lost it.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
After two days of applying rust remover jelly, vigorous wire brushing and wire wheeling, I got to see some good metal. I also got all three brass scale pins moving freely. Not quite what I was hoping for because I could not find a manufacturer's name on the base of the blade. My wife thought I was insane and said she wished I put this much effort into doing things around the house. I pretended I didn't hear her. :)

I used a mill bastard file and an oil stone to put an edge on it that will cut you finger off. The steel is extremely hard and the file barely did anything to it. It was reasonably sharp after just removing the rust.
With the steel being so hard it makes sense why it broke.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well, Lacrosse still has not fixed their heal issue. This boot is the worse one of the two.

IMG_7051a.jpg

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I kept the last pair since it was so close to the hike. What do you plan to do? All are likely from the sam lot. If you complain they'll send you shipping instructions and a discount for next pair. Maybe tell them you want a discount right now and you'll wear them. Notice its the left one. Somebody put the setup in wrong.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I walked around with them and don't have a problem. The pair I have is the same way but not as bad. But if you look at the boots in general closely it is obvious as everyone is saying that they are not made as well as they previously were.

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I picked up a pair of Baffin Enduros this spring and have really enjoyed them, the build quality is great and they weren't expensive. Made in Canada. Only thing I wanted to change about them was the soles; I replaced the defaults with a set that has reinforced arch support. Now they're up to the task of longer treks.

Bought another pair for a family member a few weeks ago as a gift too.