Fall trout stocking

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I got my start fly fishing the Flatbrook and other streams in the northern part of the state a few years before they started the fall stocking program. There were less other anglers on the stream then and the trout had several months to acclimate to their new home, giving one an experience closer to fishing for wild trout. I miss that time. I never have understood the thrill of following in the tracks of the trout or pheasant stocking trucks, making believe you are catching or shooting wild fish or game. It’s a shame generations of sportsmen have been brought up thinking that is what the sport is about. I guess a state with so little water and so many anglers doesn't leave many other options.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I got my start fly fishing the Flatbrook and other streams in the northern part of the state a few years before they started the fall stocking program. There were less other anglers on the stream then and the trout had several months to acclimate to their new home, giving one an experience closer to fishing for wild trout. I miss that time. I never have understood the thrill of following in the tracks of the trout or pheasant stocking trucks, making believe you are catching or shooting wild fish or game. It’s a shame generations of sportsmen have been brought up thinking that is what the sport is about. I guess a state with so little water and so many anglers doesn't leave many other options.

As did I, but it now is a long haul for a day trip. Johnny's helps though :)

There is much water in the state that is still inhabited by true wild trout. They don't get very big, but who cares, they all get released unless your really hungry. The state provides info in the compendium, but just about any stream up north that still has waterflowing at this time of year will have some. It is amazing how small a stream they can tolerate. And you won't see another human.

BTW, another great event this past Saturday.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
Yes, my favorite fishing up there now involves venturing far upstream on the smaller tributaries of the "trout steams" in search of little brookies. I never keep any either. They are prettier than any hatchery trout by far.