Farewell to Olga's

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
And I wonder if it wasn't caused by the plan to rebuild Marlton circle.

Olgas was the standard early morning breakfast stop for me back in the 80's, either before work or after a long night of debauchery. But it had really faded in recent years.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I first went to Olga's in 1993 and it was great in those days. But you're right, it went downhill during more recent years. The fact that they would walk away from a tax bill of only $37,000 says a lot; they must have been deeply in debt.

Of course one could also imagine a conspiracy theory to drive them out of business with the Circle reconstruction project. But Olga's seems to be untouched in the most recent plan: http://www.twp.evesham.nj.us/images/marlton-circle.jpg

However, as we discussed here, they don't have enough room to make an intersection without stoplights: http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/showthread.php?t=4262

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Those plans are already in stone I suspect. It would cost them an enormous amount of money to change them. I suspect there will be no change. The property will be sold and someone else will use the building or build something new. And I could be wrong.

I grew up right done the road from there and remember going there as a kid.

Guy

YETI

Scout
Mar 11, 2007
Berlin
How about a Super Wawa? Whatever goes there you would have to catch the exit ramp before the Kohls or else you'll be forced too drive right by it.

Paul

grendel

Explorer
Feb 24, 2006
Fredericksburg VA
I miss the jersey diners. We used to go to the brooklawn diner back inda day.You could get anything anytime. breakfast for dinner, or dinner at 5 am. A cheeseburger or filet. Nothing comes close down here. All the food is great in Jersey, I swear everything is better. You can't even get a good loaf of bread here.
I seem to think that Olga's tried to start getting fancy in the late 90's. Seems to me the prices went up. It is hard to find simple places. Does anyone here know Helen's green tree diner in West Deptford? Nothing fancy just good food and resonable prices ( at least it used to be). The hill top in mullica hill used to be like that. On thursdays the special was chicken pot pie,if you wanted it to go you had to bring your own pot. They used to line up out the door.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Best breakfast I ever had was at Vincetown Diner about 2 years ago. The serving was just large enough, the food fresh and tasty, and the service perfect. It was a sausage and cheese omelet with peppers along with wheat toast and home fries, plus 3 cups of perfect coffee. Plus, the place was CLEAN!

Yes!

I gave them a compliment on the way out.