Father Accidentally Shoots Son In Leg

RMICKLE

Scout
Oct 3, 2005
Carson City, NV
The Game Commission said it is investigating whether the rifle had a malfunctioning safety mechanism that contributed to the accident.
I think the hunters had a malfunctioning safety mechanism like keeping their finger off of the trigger. I know you can’t teach common sense but don’t they have hunter safety courses in PA. ?

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
I don't understand...the deer walked between them? Meaning their stands were 100 yards apart and the deer walked between them and the father fired on the deer with a RIFLE knowing that his son was in the general direction?
:confused:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I love reading these articles every year. It is an annual guarantee!

Guy

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
the last time i went dear hunting in NJ with a shotgun was in the late 70's back by what was known as "Hollander sand & gravel"

it was the last time hunting for me when i heard a not to far away the sound of a shotgun blast and heard pellets wizz past me

too many idots in the woods, too many people with too little common sense

who knows if heard me and just shot at the noise. at that point i did not care i was done gun hunting !!

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
I get very nervous when I hear gun pops around me in the woods. Even if they aren't close, it still makes me wonder.

Of course, we should all be wearing safety orange when out in the woods for the next few months.

RMICKLE

Scout
Oct 3, 2005
Carson City, NV
bruset said:
I get very nervous when I hear gun pops around me in the woods. Even if they aren't close, it still makes me wonder.

Of course, we should all be wearing safety orange when out in the woods for the next few months.
As a rule of thumb I stay out of the woods on Saturdays.

I was on a road in back of the Batona Camp site a couple of Sundays ago and there was an idiot shooting in the woods. It sounded like the person was target shooting. On the way out I saw a tent at the camp site. No vehicles around.

I’m going to buy at least a safety orange hat to wear on Sundays just in case.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
I can't imagine how the father could have shot in the direction of his son. The common sense factor I guess. But thank God he hit his son in the leg and he wasn't killed. That would have been tragic not only for the kid, but the father having to live with the fact that he accidently killed his own son.

Jeff

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Stu,
Wow! that is a messed up experience you had hunting. Were you walking a trail at the time or in a stand? I expect you were walking a trail.

Jeff

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
woodjin said:
Stu,
Wow! that is a messed up experience you had hunting. Were you walking a trail at the time or in a stand? I expect you were walking a trail.

Jeff
i was walking back from hunting, i used tree climbing spikes and a climbing belt rather than a tree stand since in that area there were a lot of red squralls that used raised hell and tried to chase you out of the trees

Badfish740

Explorer
Feb 19, 2005
Copperhead Road
My Grandfather who hunted his whole life in the pines carried buckshot around in his calf from the time he was 14 until he died. I don't know where he was exactly, but I remember him telling me he heard the shot and felt like he had just kicked a hornet's nest. I always thought it was odd that the doctors left the shot in there but that would have been 1938 so who knows.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
TeeGate said:
I love reading these articles every year. It is an annual guarantee!

I don't see a whole lot of humor or amusement in being shot Guy.
Accidents happen and hunting is still one of the safest documented outdoor activities.
Scott

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I did not say I found it humorous. I just find it interesting that someone with a gun could think about pointing it in the direction of their offspring.

My interest is peaked every year without fail.

Guy

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Guy,
You would have to be there and be in their boots to know the reasons.
I hunted three days this week in Pa. and Monday and Wednesday mornings were blanketed in fog that limited visibility to about 30 yards.
Monday's fog was due to the melting snow and warm air (4" on the ground on Saturday where I was) and Wednesday's was due to all of the rain on Tuesday night and the temp drop on Wednesday. This incident happened on Monday.
I dropped a friend of mine on the edge of a ridge and within 35 paces he was out of sight with or without blaze orange.
On Wednesday morning that same friend radioed me and was afraid to walk out to the mountain road because he was second guessing his compass in the fog.
What doesn't kill you makes you smarter. (or stronger as the saying goes)
It just takes some people a little longer to learn what is going to kill them.
Scott

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
TeeGate said:
I did not say I found it humorous. I just find it interesting that someone with a gun could think about pointing it in the direction of their offspring.

My interest is peaked every year without fail.

Guy

About a month ago my wife and I were driving down a nearby county road at the height of South Dakota's pheasant season. Just after we past three out-of-state cars (Illinois) parked at the roadside we looked down into a slight hollow and there, encircling a small patch of brush, were eight orange-clad nimrods all with their scatterguns held pointing in the general direction of the center of their corporately described circle, and they were being circled by two yapping English setters and an Airedale. The circle formed by the hunters couldn't have been more than 30 or 40 feet in diameter.

My wife's comment? "How could one look at that scene and still question Darwinism?"

Dave