favorite spot to stargaze in the pines

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Nothing like the wide-openess of the middle of a lake at night. A canoe or a rowboat would be first choice out on one of the lakes. I realize this is not allowed at some destinations, but thats not to say I havent done it. I have no special spots for taking the truck, but Ive pulled over in many clearings ang lounged out in the bed. Pickups are great for gazing because they protect you from the wind in open areas.

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Yikes, I responded......where did it go? Try in a kayak on the Wading River by Chips Folly OR in a comfy lawnchair in the middle of Bodine Field in August for the meteor show. Piney Mike, try buying one of those cheap rafts with the lounging backs and put that in the bed of your truck.....I've even slept overnight like that........zzzzzzz

turtle

Explorer
Feb 4, 2009
a village...in the pines
Oh Jim,
There's some around here that refer to that place as "Scott's Pit". Mrs. Ellen Scott (first introduced in Beck's Jersey Genesis-pg. 91) was murdered in the late 40s/early 50s by her nephew. He dumped her body there and the only reason that she was found was that persons searching for her could smell the body. I remember a local on the ambulance squad at the time recounting the story. There are still a few other folks around who remember the incident too. oooohhhhooooohhhoooooo..........:ghost:

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
the pine plains-spring hill

You don't say Jeff ?
Took this yesterday afternoon while exploring in the rain with the wife and dog on top of Spring Hill.
Looks like a great star spot.
Too bad it's a very remote party spot too.
Pretty trashed up on top.

spring_hill.jpg

Mts83

Explorer
Oct 24, 2008
Sourland Mountains
www.wtfda.info
You don't say Jeff ?
Took this yesterday afternoon while exploring in the rain with the wife and dog on top of Spring Hill.
Looks like a great star spot.
Too bad it's a very remote party spot too.
Pretty trashed up on top.

Among other things... as Chuck, Grendel, etc and I found out. We didn't too many signs of it being a major party spot, but did find some weird stuff farther up the hill. It's an odd place, though great for stargazing, and sledding (when I was little).

For me, my field is a pretty good spot, along with Spring Hill, Manheim, and Batsto mentioned above. The only one I'd add would probably be the clearing at the end of Bremen Ave, at least from the road.

lol yea Chuck, good thing I showed you Spring Hill :)

freerider

Explorer
Jan 3, 2008
I am not sure any are in the pines is really dark enough.

Too much light from surrounding areas.

I know from the east plains Atlantic City, glows to the south west, Stafford and Barnegate and Toms River & South East, East and north. Then in the distant west is Medford and Philly.

I think I read the astronomy club chose the rt 72 Coyle Field location due to ease of getting there and safety.

I have seen a few guys on bombing Range road late at night with their scopes.

Although I have now heard we are not allowed on WMA property after dark unless actively hunting or fishing.

virgos

Explorer
Mar 25, 2007
Cherry Spring State Park is a great place for stargazing

Cherry Spring State Park - PA