Fifty Miler through the Pines: Nov. 13-15

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
I have tentatively been working on doing a hike the 2nd weekend (Fri-Sun) of November. It will utilize a long stretch of the Batona Trail, but also see Hampton Furnace, Bear Swamp Hill, C.R.R., well you get the idea.
Basic idea is to start in Penn State Forest at or around Bear Swamp Hill, work down the Oswego to meet the Batona. From there its through Batsto, up the white/yellow trail against the Mullica, and camp at Lower Forge. Next its over to Hampton Furnace, circle around the C.R.R., up to Apple Pie, then into Lebanon St. Should end early on day three at Ong's Hat.
This will be a pretty intensive hike with two twenty mile days & and a ten on day three. Will have some really top notch veteran hikers out there that I have been all over the Mid-Atlantic with. There is still a good bit of planning on my end, I am trying to hit as many of my favorite spots in a fifty mile hike. If interested, or have any ideas give a yell. I can always use some bright ideas:D

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Can't tell you how excited I am about this trip Bob. My November is packed with stuff. After this trip I'm doing the West Rim Trail (PA Grand Canyon) the last weekend of the month.
My hiker bro's have seen the Batona, but not much else. Not the I mind green highway hiking, I actually love it, but I want to wow them a little with some looks at plains, pygmy pines, maybe The Great Swamp, and other nice little bits o' the Pines.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
Looking for those riding on the shoe leather express Jersey Jim:D . If you, or others, would like to join for pieces thats quite alright with me, the more the merrier. Mostly all of this hike will take place on footpaths and off trail environs.
I have even debated maybe kayaking half of day one down the Oswego to Harrisville Lake or the Beaver Branch. Probably thats just thinking though and wont happen.

Gerania

Explorer
May 18, 2004
Marlton
I'm just old and a slooow; 10 miles is about all I can take...on a good day. About 25 years ago this would have sounded like fun.

Hey, I saw the Beatles on Ed Sullivan! That should give you some idea of where I'm coming from. Thanks for filling us in.

Gillian

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
I am sure you all could represent youselves quite well. :D Honestly, I move at a pretty quick place (3+ miles per hr.), but thats only on terrain I know well. The beginning stretch of this will be some bushwacking so the pace will be a lot slower. Everybody has to hike there own hike, some are slower and some faster. Let me state again, if anybody is interested in doing a stretch of this feel free. Last month I did aprox. 40 miles through the Lehigh Valley, and with some really tough terrain, had a few folks come and go. Some people went up to Pulpit Rock and turned back, some caught us off a side trail and did just Pinnacle. After day two, which turned into half a death march:jd: , I found the campsite filled with people, sounds, and food. What a great surprise that was. Think on it.

Piney Boy

Explorer
Sep 19, 2005
Williamstown, NJ
O.K. gang, here is the rough plan of action:

Start on Friday morning after Thanksgiving near Bear Swamp Hill, hook around through the Plains, and down to the Oswego River. Follow the Oswego to Oswego lake, hook around Little Hawkin Road to sand road and through The Oswego River Natural Area. After hitting the Batona Trail follow to Batsto. Through Batsto up the White Trail, parrallel to the Batsto River, and up to Lower Forge for the evening.

Saturday: Follow sand road next to the Batsto up to Hampton Furnace. Hook around to the Central RR and follow to where it hits the Batona near the Carranza memorial. Past Apple Pie Hill on the Batona until we hit Pakim Pond. Camp for the evening.

Sunday follow the Batona to end of the trail terminus, or beginning depending on how you look at it, and fin.

This is a fairly strenous hike, but definitely doable. With a pretty early start no need to fly through the trail. Should range from 50-55 miles. Expect a handful of friends, and all others interested. Sugar sand makes for happy feet!