Finally a pinesnake

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Haven't been out in a while due to the rain and heat. Decided to brave the heat, ticks, and pine flies and search for a pine snake. Within my first couple minutes I came across this mud turtle, a nice find for me and my first one since 1990, she was trying to bury under some leaves to get out of the sun for a few days,
IMG_6394.jpg

IMG_6389.jpg

Next I found this 4.5-5 foot black ratsnake, he scared the hell out of me because I nearly stepped on him as I walked around a tree, I thought he was dead at first, I guess he was just taking a snooze in the sun,
IMG_6408.jpg

IMG_6406.jpg

IMG_6399.jpg

From there I decided to check a spot were I found two yearling pine snakes last october, along the way saw thousands of baby fowler's toads. You literally couldn't walk on the trails there was so many, this guy was the smallest I've seen about 3/4 of a cm,
IMG_6455.jpg

No luck as far as pine snakes were concerned at that spot, saw some racers but no pines. On my way back to my jeep in an area were I never expected to see a pine snake because it is a thin trail with a brackish marsh on either side I struck gold. I glanced directly to my right and saw the most beautiful 5ft pine snake. Unfortunatly she scurried away as i went to grab my camera, I pursued her and managed to get a couple pics. I wish I got a picture when she was in the open on a railroad tie, but these aren't too bad. I must say this was a complete freak chance of finding her there. I walk this trail everytime back to my car at least three dozen times this year and never have found a pine snake there. Clearly luck was on my side, and the funny thing is both times I've seen a pine has been around 3 o'clock, at terrible time normally for herping.
IMG_6464-1.jpg

IMG_6468.jpg

IMG_6462.jpg

I don't know why this pictures are showing up so tiny, they look alot better bigger...oh well, some day I'll figure out this posting thing.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice finds! As always I enjoyed the turtle photo's.

The photo's are displaying the proper size at the link, so it is not this site that is causing it.

Guy

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
It seems like everybody caught a pine snake this year...but ME! I got to head out to some spots before this year ends!

Thats a gorgeous pine, and cool rat snake.

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
dont worry i havent seen one, ever, i wish i could, they may be too illusive for me, im gonna try again this weekend, and by the way, those are some really nice pictures, especially the pine and black ratsnake

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
dragoncjo said:
Haven't been out in a while due to the rain and heat.... I glanced directly to my right and saw the most beautiful 5ft pine snake.

Hey, Dragoncjo,
I'm happy for you! Man, those pics make me smell the pines - and that faint touch of vanilla they always seem to give off too - and gives me a lump of homesickness in my throat... Thanks for all of that!

Dave

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Thanks guys, I have spent about 150 hours in the pines this spring and summer and walked about over 100 miles so it was about time I found one. Also I know of den about 100 feet away from were I found her, I wasn't sure if it was a pine snake den, but I'm pretty sure now. Snakehunter, as far as them being too elusive, you'll find one it is just a function of spending enough time out there. I don't flip stuff the snakes I encounter are all out on the crawl, so if I found one anyone really can. Next goal is a hognose and with all the little fowler's hopping around I should find one soon.
Chris

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Excellent. From what i've seen personally (and from others) this has been the best season in the pines (herpetologically speaking) in quite a while. Good luck finding the hog.

ChrisNJ

Explorer
Jan 31, 2006
Medford
Great trip and photos, I have also been unable to find a hognose, perhaps when I least expect it but your toad area should pan out.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Guy, I know what your saying, sometimes the link sends you directly to my photobucket. I'm not sure how to do it though. I think the reason why it is small is that when I have my zoom lense on it creates a smaller picture. I had my 35mm on when I took the mud turtle shot maybe that is why it is bigger.

Bob, I have been quite impressed with the amount of wildlife I've seen throughout south jersey this year. I'm guessing it is because of the mild winter and absolutely perfect spring we had. The previous winters had been brutally cold and long, with virtually no spring.