finally went birding

Bobbleton

Explorer
Mar 12, 2004
NJ
Long overdue--i was able to get out to allaire today for a few hours of late-day birding. Didn't turn out too bad, either. Nothing spectacular, but I was pretty happy considering I haven't been out in so long . . .

Here's what we saw:

They're so common but so underappreciated.
P1011910sm.jpg

Carolina Chickadee
P1011911sm.jpg

Of course we all love the state bird. I'd like to get a shot in summer plumage, though. They're so much prettier.
normal_P1011922sm.jpg

Nothing much spectacular about this hermit thrush, but its the first I've correctly identified in the wild . .
P1011924sm.jpg

White-breasted nuthatches seem easier and easier to find, but I still love the way they scamper up and down trees like a woodpecker.
P1011926sm.jpg

Speaking of woodpeckers---we saw this red-bellied woodpecker in the exact same area as the red-headed from last year, hairys, downys, and a POSSIBLE (but not very likely) pileated woodpecker. Its such a good spot for them.
P1011932sm.jpg

This was my finale (despite the crappy picture). I know eastern bluebirds are supposedly common . . . but in the last 7 or so years I've seen exactly two--and they whizzed right by before I could get a good look. This day, however . . . there were 5 or so just pittering around the whole area. I love these birds, they're so much more beautiful in real life. I can't wait to get my new camera.
P1011956sm.jpg

Its not herping, but it is fun . . . and any excuse to tromp through the woods and learn about native wildlife is all the excuse I need.

-Bob

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Nice pictures, I see ton's of eastern bluebirds while I'm golfing in gloucester county but never at too many other spots. They seem to like the edge habitat that golf courses provide. Nice shots of the red bellied woodpecker, have been seeing more and more of those guys in my backyard recently, nice looking bird too and very noisy when around.

uuglypher

Explorer
Jun 8, 2005
Estelline, SD
Bobbleton said:
Long overdue--i was able to get out to allaire today for a few hours of late-day birding.

-Bob

Hey, Bob,
Sure glad you took your camera! Terrific shots!

Horned larks and snow buntings are all I saw today on our white and icy roadsides. My camera isn't thawed out yet after 3 days without power and heat. Back on now. Life is better!

Dave