Finding an Old Book

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Bob, Could you email me that image and give me permission to use it as I see fit? Great talk about our common vernacular changing. Same as Piney names for plants like Catspaws and Buttons.
Just thinking, this is from a Trenton Times article from 1956. I could email a photo of it. Just don't mention me at all, but you should cite the source.

Reactions: harlequinhawk

harlequinhawk

Aug 31, 2009
No, I have no authority to do that Joe.
Bob, yeah I understand that. I was just asking to borrow your photo capture of the article and I'd always cite the original. No worries I can dig up the article on newspapers.com. It's a neat piece of writing on Bisbee I have a copy of his Place Names that came with a supplemental of 'Before Levittown'.

Reactions: stiltzkin

Ben Ruset

Administrator
Site Administrator
Oct 12, 2004
Monmouth County
www.benruset.com
Just in case anybody wonders what happened, here's the threat from the lawyers representing the people who eventually came to own the copyright for that article.

Ultimately I had to hire an attorney to tell them to kick rocks, and I don't really want to have to do that again.

Bob, on further reflection, if the article you posted was your own photo then it's probably safe - at least no automated system would find it like what happened in this lawsuit. But if people find an already published image of a newspaper article that's a no-go.

Transcribing old newspaper articles ought to be fine.

Attachments

• 2014 - Sanders Law Legal Threat.pdf
    1.6 MB · Views: 30
  • Wow
Reactions: bobpbx and Boyd