Fire in Wharton?

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
ADVISORY UPDATE: THERE IS A SIGNIFICANT FOREST FIRE IN WHARTON STATE FOREST. It is currently contained and there have been no evacuations. Tomorrow, Friday, 7/21, Trail around the Batsto Village will be closed along with the back roads in the general area. PLEASE AVOID THE AREA. Beyond personal safety, the people containing the fire need easy access along our roads. Thank you for understanding.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks. I have to assume there were no lightning strikes and someone started it.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
MAJOR FOREST FIRE
07/20/17 @ 1330 hrs- SECTION B2 Washington Twp, Burlington County, 2 miles north of Batsto Village- "Penn Swamp Wildfire". Fire is in a remote area with no access into the fire. Crews are planning a large burn-out operation to accomplish containment. The ICP is located at Batsto Village. Updated 1930.

EVACUATIONS: None
STRUCTURES THREATENED: None
PROPERTY DAMAGE: None
INJURIES: None
ROADS CLOSED OR IMPACTED: Several bike and hiking trails will be impacted by the fire including: Batona Trail. Local roads may be impacted by smoke from the fire. No immediate closures are anticipated at this time. NJ Park Police and Conservation Officers are assisting with clearing of the Batona Trail.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thats where I was last weekend. We walked a section of the Batona to get to where we wanted to go.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
I'd almost put money on it being from a lightning strike. My front window faces that direction. I watched a storm build near atsion and head in that direction last evening. The outflow from the cloud tops was impressive.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Closer to Batsto than they said unless that is a back fire.

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ

07/20/17 @ 1330 hrs- SECTION B2 Washington Twp, Burlington County, 2 miles north of Batsto Village- "Penn Swamp Wildfire". Fire was spotted by the Batsto fire tower at about 1320 yesterday afternoon. Fire is in a remote area with no access into the fire. Crews are performing a large burn-out operation to accomplish containment which will increase fire size to near 3,500 acres. 30% containment being reported early this morning. The ICP is located at Batsto Village. Updated 07/21/17 @ 0530 hrs.

EVACUATIONS: None
STRUCTURES THREATENED: None
PROPERTY DAMAGE: None
INJURIES: None
ROADS CLOSED OR IMPACTED: Several bike and hiking trails will be impacted by the fire including: Batona Trail. Local roads may be impacted by smoke from the fire. No immediate closures are anticipated at this time. NJ Park Police and Conservation Officers are assisting with clearing of the Batona Trail.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
With the expected air temps, not going to be a fun outside day today, especially for those working the fire. 3500 acres
eek.gif

https://local.nixle.com/alert/6068037/?sub_id=1141093

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Tomorrow;

40th Anniversary of the Bass River Fire

To all: The memorial service for the 40th Anniversary of the Bass River Fire will be held this Saturday, July 22, 2017 at the memorial at Bass River State Forest on East Greenbush Rd. Please report to the memorial before 1830 (6:30pm) hours. The uniform for all full time FFS members will be summer Class A (no tie). Please let the Div. B office know if you or any of your folks would like to attend.Thank you.

Reactions: h2ochild

JeepWagoneer

Scout
Jul 31, 2015
Medford NJ
Last time I went down the Penn Swamp Branch Road (last year I think) it was practically overgrown and almost impassable. That area had heavy undergrowth and was due for a fire imho.

Reactions: Menantico