Fire in Wharton?

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Wow, it looks a bit hazy at my home but I didn't think it could be caused by a fire that far away. Here's another radar image.

fire2.png

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This is huge. Looks like the wind is blowing the smoke to the East now...

[edit]...Or maybe that is rain? I see some other cells popping up in the South.

fire3.png

Last edited:

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I was just out there and you can see the smoke well from lee brothers bogs on 563 and at friendship. There was a small rain storm out there an hour ago and the wind is blowing the smoke out towards 563/679 intersection. It isnt that smokey out there tho but it appears smokey higher up in the clouds. Just looking at the smoke plumes it looks like 3-5k acres.

Attachments

• IMG_1873.JPG
    IMG_1873.JPG
    869 KB · Views: 243
Reactions: Boyd

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
There's ash particles falling all over. My car was parked as Bass River SF all day and it's got white streaks all over, and when I left I could see the particles, like very fine snow.

Look for the possibility of an awesomely weird sunset tonight.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Smoke in the air here with the wind shift to the SW. Should continue shifting to easterly later this morning and reduce the smoke. Heavy storms being forecast for later today may be a good or bad thing.

“We should have it fully contained in the next 12 hours,” he said at 4 p.m. Friday. “We should have all of the hot spots extinguished in the next four or five days.” - PofAC

http://www.pressofatlanticcity.com/...cle_ede8a2ac-4be5-557a-ad9b-c95c39ffc7ff.html

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Currently the fire is managed. Our campsites are open. Crowley's landing is open. Batsto Visitor Center and the Historic Village are open. The Atsion Office and Recreation area are open (although the rec area is rapidly reaching capacity).

The trails in the area of the fire, particularly north of our Batsto Visitor Center remained closed. Back roads through the woods remain in use by our Forest Fire crews. It is a good idea to simply avoid the areas even when they are not closed. Wharton State Forest encompasses an enormous area, please contact our offices for alternative activity areas.
Batsto: (609) 561-0024
Atsion: (609) 268-0444

PLEASE NOTE: We are not always able to answer questions that are posed on facebook either publicly or privately. Please call our offices with any questions.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Any maps yet on just what the fire burned? Always interested in watching it come back and seeing how hot it burnt to begin with.Sad thing is i always find dead box turtles in every fire I wander through:-(

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was heading down 72 by Coyle Field this morning when we first started to smell it. Really strong. I was going to stop at the Cedar Bridge Fire Tower and climb it but the man was not there yet. On our way back he was ... but decided not to stop as we had to get home to go pick up my daughters kayak.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
As of an hour ago.

UPDATE: The fire in Wharton SF, now known as the Penn Swamp Fire is completely contained, although not extinguished or completely under control. Thankfully no one has been harmed by this 3000 plus acre fite. Hiking and biking trails to the north of Batsto Village remain closed. Again, please practice caution. It is best to avoid the area altogether.

NOTE: It is ALWAYS required to make reservations and check in when camping in NJ state parks. This afternoon a couple were stopped heading in the fire's direction with no knowledge of the situation intending to camp overnight without a permit. This endangers the emergency responders as well as the campers. Please always properly register when planning overnight camping.