Fire in Wharton?

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Al, Ive always wondered how box turtles fare during fires. I dont think they have any ability to avoid it unless they get in a tree stump or dig into wet mud. Have you seen alot dead in burned areas? Dozens?

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Al, Ive always wondered how box turtles fare during fires. I dont think they have any ability to avoid it unless they get in a tree stump or dig into wet mud. Have you seen alot dead in burned areas? Dozens?
every fire I"ve ever wandered around in either while still burning or out within last few days I have found at least one dead boxer,sometimes several.No dead snakes so i assume they get underground.Boxers obviously aren't fast enough or can dig fast enough to get away.I love how fire opens the woods up and their gorgeous as they come back from it but every time i see a dead box turtle it kinda ruins the some how gorgeous freshly burned woods and i can no longer think about how pretty they will be in a few years though in a few years the boxer has faded into memory.I have seen very few critters of other kinds caught in a fire.smaller ones are probably incinerated but I think most mammals can out run or go underground and most reptiles go undeground.water turtles and amphibians are already in a good place and can hit the mud if they have to.Birds of course make like a bat out of hell.Sadly none of them have fire insurance. But are quite free from posessions which makes insurance laughable.

Reactions: Jon Holcombe
Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Update for a couple minutes ago, plus a link to view the pic if unpacked areas.

Update on the Forest Fire, 7/23/17, 12:00pm: The fire is 100% contained, although not completely under control.

All of our campgrounds, the Historic Batsto Village, the entire Atsion Area, Crowley's Landing, and our rivers are open.

The trails near to the fire from the Batsto Visitor Center that are currently closed are the Red, White, Blue hiking trails and all of the bike trails. The Batona Trail is closed from Batsto to Quaker Bridge.

The Orange and Yellow trails at Batsto remain open.

Please note that the area did not receive the heavy rains that other nearby areas did. Keep your fingers crossed for more. An element of risk remains and the public is encouraged to explore other areas of our State Forest. There are some great wilderness opportunities that are less explored throughout our 115,000+ acres. Please call our offices for more information.

Also note that we do not have the capacity to answer facebook questions directed to our inbox. Please call our offices at 609-561-0024 or 609-268-0444.

Image from the Press of Atlantic City Website.

https://m.facebook.com/story.php?story_fbid=555369014587434&substory_index=0&id=494393157351687

Jersey Jeff

Explorer
Jun 22, 2012
We camped @ Goshen Pond Friday night and then paddled/camped from Atsion to Pleasant Mills on the Mullica Saturday & Sunday.

We watched the smoke plumes from the beach @ Atsion Lake and from the Hammonton Wal-Mart parking lot on Friday.

Due to extremely low water levels on the Mullica, we wanted to put in at First Beach. Quaker Bridge Rd. was closed Saturday morning and the NJ park police wouldn't let us through in spite of our pleading. However, later that day I met a guy swimming at First Beach who said he moved the cones because they officer wasn't there...just his vehicle w/the flashing lights!

Smelled smoke for almost our entire trip...they air was hazy too. We had a few rumbles of thunder @ Mullica River Campground Saturday night but sadly, no precipitation.

I really hope you guys got some rain Sunday night...it's been pouring here in North Jersey all day (Monday)!

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Interesting.....

Forest Fire Trivia: Root systems can burn underground for weeks or months and re-ignite explosively when exposed to oxygen. Some areas and trails in Wharton SF may be closed for several weeks as a result.

Now for some positive Forest Fire Trivia. Fires are a natural part of a forest's eco-system. Nowhere is this more true than in the NJ Pine Barrens. The unique physiology of our pines themselves actually require fires in order to reproduce. If not for occasional fires the pines would eventually be overtaken by oaks. As unpleasant as these events are, they serve a purpose.

After Labor Day Wharton SF will be looking for volunteers for work on our trails damaged by the fire. This will include vegetation clearing both dead and living, replacing destroyed markings, signage, etc. Feel free to stop by one of our offices to fill out a form. We look forward to hearing from you!

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
BREAKING: Lightning responsible for Penn Swamp Wildfire. More details later today.

"An investigation found that the cause of the fire was a lightning strike on several trees on the evening of Wednesday, July 19," said NJDEP Spokesman Bob Considine. "Three trees were struck, including a large pine tree where the fire started and spread and spread to other trees before the fire’s discovery from a tower at 1:20 pm on Thursday, July 20."

Reactions: Jersey Jeff

Jon Holcombe

Explorer
Dec 1, 2015
Medford
"An investigation found that the cause of the fire was a lightning strike on several trees on the evening of Wednesday, July 19," said NJDEP Spokesman Bob Considine.
This photo was taken during the storm, Wednesday night at 8:15 PM. I was standing in the marsh by Great Bay getting rained on and listening to the distant thunder on the mainland (though I saw no lightning), and wondering if I was going to get lit up.
7bridges_storm.jpg

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
Those are impressive and scary pictures. I know, it will grow back, and fire is a normal part of the Pinelands. But it's still ugly.

It could be much worse. I heard something recently about "mega-fires" that burn so hot they sterilize the soil, and fuse dead vegetation into a layer, both of which prevent any growth.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I just rode around the fire yesterday evening.It definitely cleared out the underbrush north of Penn Swamp.Didn't seem to burn as hot south of the swamp.Didn't look like it crowned,at least not on the perimeter.It was getting dark so I didn't cut through the center on the sand roads that went through.From what I saw in four or five years other then blackened trunks you'll probably not know the fire was there.Going back up in a few days to check out the center of the fire.I tried cutting through on Penn swamp road from the east but got stopped at the big water hole adjacent to the pond.I was hoping it would be dry but should have known better.Wasn't ready to risk getting stuck in the dark and I haven't drove through that beast in years so had no idea what the bottom was like.It did look like the fire was getting hotter just where I had to turn around.I should have been fairly close to where it started.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We drove around the complete burned area this morning. The western road seems to have been hotter so I assume that was more of the actual fire. I ran into the Park Police twice and the second time I was moving quickly to get through a sandy area and they just kept right on going as they should have. I was happy about that. I had a 4x4 turn around in front of me at a tough area on the western road but I was able to force my way through. I would suggest without 4x4 you stay off of that one for a while. The FFS dug some nice ruts with the dozer.

fire.JPG

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This was on one of the bike trails.

IMG_0758a.JPG

The plastic signs for the bike and hiking trails are more than just plastic.

IMG_0762a.JPG

As with any fire my goal is to find property stones or property markers. One such property in the burn zone was the property of Fred Jervis. When Wharton was surveyed in the late 50's the state had not acquired it so they had to place survey monuements at the corners and along the line. History tells us that either his father or grandfather fought the big Batsto fire around the turn of the 20th century so it was fitting that this fire helped me find his property monuments. I have looked for them many times and these particular monuments have been very elusive. Well, not anymore.

NJ404W

IMG_0763a.JPG

The fire just cleared enough for me to discover it.

IMG_0765a.JPG

Then to NJ403W which was much more remote. This was even hard to find today. The fire was not hot enough to completely clear away the vegetation.

IMG_0768a.JPG

IMG_0769a.JPG

NJ405W. I had always felt this one was in the road and had been destroyed but as you can see I was incorrect.

IMG_0770a.JPG

IMG_0772a.JPG

IMG_0774a.JPG

And on our travels we discovered a Turks Cap Lilly which was a little past prime. Next to it was the remains of last years plant and Jessica discovered a short distance away another non blooming lilly with last years remains also. A very nice find for sure.

IMG_0776a.JPG

And then the day ended.

IMG_0784a.JPG

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
Just came back from the fire.Those monuments are an awesome find! I had meant to ask you if there was anything in the fire area you had wanted to find.I just drove this road through and checked out a nice little pond i had not seen since the 80's when i had camped in the area and had hiked to it.http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.6971213178719&lng=-74.64984152119638&z=15&type=hybrid&gpx= Then took the dogs for a swim here http://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.7154782317326&lng=-74.67112753193857&z=15&type=hybrid&gpx= and at about 735 pm a lone kayaker goes by and never looks up or says a word.Looked like a loner type.There was no cars at Quaker Bridge ,I had just driven over it.I had no idea where He was planning to take out.Told my wife He'll never make it to batsto by dark.She said maybe thats why He's hurrying.I said He can fly and he will never make it to batsto by dark so maybe he was planning a clandestine camp like I used to do along Penn Swamp barnch.

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
PS I don't know if anyone has checked but I just did. The State buried the well along Godfreys bridge batsto road.I forget the name of the property but it was the well maybe 30 ft off the road.you can still see the logs that surrounded it but they filled it in.Another historical artifact destroyed at the hands of the State of NJ