First orchid (sort of) and pink!

cnycharles

Sep 5, 2015
elmer nj
clavbypink16a.jpg
earlypink1a16.jpg
earlypink1b16.jpg
Two weeks or so ago I found my first orchid while trying to locate a pinks spot a fellow orchid hunter from conn. had shared with me near Millville. Where I found my first clump of what I later identified as pinks previous growth were about four stems and seed pods of what I think are platanthera clavellata.
Went back last night to check on pinks progress and what I'd seen before looked a few weeks from flowering. Decided to go upstream a bit and started to find plants with bud clump, then more advanced, then a clump with four very short stems in flower! These are the first I've seen in flower so am excited

Tried to upload pics from my phone but gives error 'file doesn't have proper file type ending' or something like that. Thought phone pics were jpegs but maybe images don't have any endings.

Okay, saved a file to Dropbox and it had jpeg not jpg ending, will work on that. Figured it out!

I'm looking to find all the nj orchids to make an educational display for the njos; i would be happy to join others nearby as they look in familiar spots for orchids etc to take pictures of. I also go on trips with others and invite others to come along, just ask. Have tons of locations in ny. Things I'll be searching for are early coralroot heard its in north jersey, and putty root, large whorled pogonia, any slippers except makasin and pink, southern twayblade and any other early ones.

If people are wondering who I am and if I'm trustworthy you can check out these sites.
Slippertalk.com website forum, I am cnycharles and I've posted lots of native and other orchid pictures, search in tell me about it and pictures threads.
Also the cnyos.org orchid club page, I'm the website editor and past newsletter editor. All the pictures on the 'show pictures' link are mine. Also there the native orchids link goes to native orchids pics that are from my trips. I've collaborated with Chuck Sheviak, Steve Young, Matt Young, Ken Hull, Tom NELSON, Brian Cassie, Prof. Don Leopold, Gary Lee, Paul Brown, Sam Saulys, Bob Sprague, and many others who have shared trips etc together.

My friend Ken Hull is also going to go to Ontario to see amerorchis rotundifolia where I was last spring, if anyone wanted to join in.

Thanks!
Charles

Last edited:
Reactions: John and bobpbx

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
View attachment 7283 View attachment 7284 View attachment 7285

I'm looking to find all the nj orchids to make an educational display for the njos; if anyone could share sites I'd be happy to share images and maybe even take along on other orchid trips elsewhere. Have tons of locations in ny. First I'm looking for early coralroot heard its in north jersey, and putty root, large whorled pogonia, any slippers except makasin and pink, southern twayblade and any other early ones. Locations will be kept secret and I don't dig.

Thanks!
Charles

I'm sure you understand the reasons for this;

Also understand that the general culture of this forum membership frowns on giving out exact locations to many sites, especially to new members. Please don't get mad if you don't get the information that you're after. Join the community, earn some trust and respect, and you'll be amazed at the information that you'll learn.

From;

https://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/read-this-before-you-sign-up.1504/