First Timer

GregJ

Sep 6, 2006
I have a few questions if anyone can throw me some advice.

I grew up in the city and never really came across snakes as a kid. Now I'm all growns up and am getting more and more curious about snakes. I am completely fascinated by any and every TV documentary about snakes. I'm dying to see some in the wild, though I'll probably be afraid to pick any up. Still, just seeing them and taking photos will be excellent.

Anyway, next week (September 12-14) we're going canoeing/camping in the Pine Barrens somewhere...we haven't picked a spot yet. Please answer any of the following questions you can:

* are snakes still about in mid September?
* how late in the season can you see them?
* are there poisonous snakes in the Pine Barrens?
* is it cool to pick up wild snakes and then release them?
* what's a good place in the Pine Barrens by a canoeing/camping river to see snakes?
* what's the best place to look for snakes?

I really should know this stuff but haven't had the experience...yet!

Thanks a lot for any advice.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Well I can answer a few of your questions. Snakes are still out I have seen pine snakes out into october. As far as how late you can find them it all depends on the weather but when daytime temps dip below the 70's consistently it will probably be tough. There is one poisionous snake in the pines and that is the timber rattlesnake, very rare and not a threat to bite, unless it is really provoked. As for picking snakes up not a good idea at all. For one I'm pretty sure it is illegal, two if your not use to handling snakes it could be harmful to the animal if your not doing it properly. Handling animals place alot of stress on them, a build up of stress can cause a weakened immune system. Best thing is to observe them, allow them their space and take pics. As far as where to find them your best bet is always to look near water or marshes. Your best bet is finding racers, rat snakes, and water snakes and all of these should turn up near water some place, along with eastern kingsnakes. Good luck

snakehunter7

Scout
Apr 6, 2006
MIllville
i can say im guilty of holding some snakes i find but for short amounts of time and i know how to hold them, i completely agree with dragoncjo, i just wanted to add that that same rattlesnake is endangered as well as the corn snake, and pine snakes are endangered and you could probably get in alot of trouble if you hold them, not to metion owning one, that a fine you dont want, nice to meet you, have a great time in the pines

NJSnakeMan

Explorer
Jun 3, 2004
Atlantic County
I too agree that it's best to just view a wild serpent.. but personally I don't think you can fully appreciate a snake (or any herp for that matter) unless I'm actually HOLDING IT in my hands (venomous aside..) Of course I've been handling snakes since I can remember.

swwit

Explorer
Apr 14, 2005
i can say im guilty of holding some snakes i find but for short amounts of time and i know how to hold them, i completely agree with dragoncjo, i just wanted to add that that same rattlesnake is endangered as well as the corn snake, and pine snakes are endangered and you could probably get in alot of trouble if you hold them, not to metion owning one, that a fine you dont want, nice to meet you, have a great time in the pines

Just a quick note on a few things you said. The pine snake is not endangered but threatened. And you can own pine snakes as long as they were aquired from out of state and you can produce a receipt for the animals. So yes, you can add them to your permit or get a permit for them.

GregJ

Sep 6, 2006
Thanks for the replies and advice, all. I'll be happy if I see a serpent or two out there along the river. If I catch any photos I'll post them.