Fish and Wildlife doubts coyote is calf-killer

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I"m with you Jeff.It's BS.I think they know it too but they are afraid of bad press for the coyotes because hunters don't like competition.I say there is enough deer for everybody.I've had very close encounters with coyotes here and their big dogs.I'd estimate one at 70 lbs.A couple or three of them i believe could bring down a deer no problem.
Al

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Interesting article. That last quote about coyote not eating deer...maybe they do things different on Fl.:D

Im not so sure most packs of Jersey coyotes do take down adult deer. We've had a house in the Adirondacks for almost 25 years and it wasnt until the last decade that DEC officials really noticed that some packs were getting ballsy and smart enough to bring deer down. I frequently talk to the rangers up there and have been told there has actually been an uproar of citizen support to re-introduce mountain lions because of the over abundance of yotes in the Dacks and nothing else on the food chain to change those numbers. Im sure Jersey yotes might take an occasional old, young, or ill deer down, but I highly doubt they spend their time hunting deer. Their diet consists mostly of much smaller rodents and game.

DeepXplor

Explorer
Nov 5, 2008
Jersey Shore
The largest creatures that I know that coyotes have taken are Guinea Hens. A friend lost many to the coyotes on his horse farm near Atsion.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
When we think of one animal going up against another we normally visualize them in their prime, but in reality predators are normally targeting the oldest, youngest, weakest or sickest of their prey. In those cases, yotes do indeed prey on deer.

I do take issue with some of my fellow hunters blaming their lack of success on the growing coyote population. As we all well know, if they didn’t get a deer it just had to have been due to something other than their own skill level. :rofl:

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Are coyotes pack hunters? The ones I've seen are solitary.

My guess is you've seen them during the day. They are almost always solitary during daytime hours and out on their own resting or scavenging food. They hunt in packs at nightfall. For the most part, coyotes howl to locate one another and to get the pack together and ready for a hunt. I've also heard them playing and yelping with one another to excite each other for a hunt. This sounds like a lot of yelping, howling, and barking almost like a dog fight, but what they are really doing is getting pumped for the night's hunt. I dont think they do these hunts every night, so you may see them alone at night sometimes as well. I love the sound of coyotes.. makes me feel like Im in the country.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Last year I found an area with a very significant coyote population. I found a den site (only used during pup birth) and numerous coyote tracks as though moving in a pack. I also found several (like three) partcially devoured yearlings. While it is possible they were fed upon post mortem, I would think it odd to have more that one yearling dead in the area, too coincidental.

Jeff

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Last year I found an area with a very significant coyote population. I found a den site (only used during pup birth) and numerous coyote tracks as though moving in a pack. I also found several (like three) partcially devoured yearlings. While it is possible they were fed upon post mortem, I would think it odd to have more that one yearling dead in the area, too coincidental.

Jeff

You talking about yearling deer, or coyotes? Never heard of them eating their own, so Im assuming deer yearling.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
Since when don't coyotes kill deer?!

Since a lot of deer can kick their ass and are more of a problem to take down than is worth their while. Even a strong coyote pack would have trouble getting a healthy, full grown buck or doe to the ground. Thats not to say deer arent on the menu, but smaller game is first.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
If some of you believe deer play a big role in the diet of the Eastern Coyote (Canis latrans var), you should pick up some reading material on the animal. Theres plenty of literature on them. Their diet is made up mostly by scavenging, as well as eating mice, rabbit, small amphibians, insects such as grasshoppers, and any fruit or vegetables they can get their paws on. Being extremely opportunistic, it isnt rare for them to take a deer here and there, but certainly a healthy adult is not worth the time and risk involved.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
If some of you believe deer play a big role in the diet of the Eastern Coyote (Canis latrans var), you should pick up some reading material on the animal. Theres plenty of literature on them. Their diet is made up mostly by scavenging, as well as eating mice, rabbit, small amphibians, insects such as grasshoppers, and any fruit or vegetables they can get their paws on. Being extremely opportunistic, it isnt rare for them to take a deer here and there, but certainly a healthy adult is not worth the time and risk involved.

An interesting link about coyotes. Studies have concluded that coyotes are a major predator of white tailed deer. The study focuses on West Virgina (eastern coyote) and Texas (western coyote) primarily. However, study in nearby Pa showed that 218 deer where radio tagged. 22% were killed and of that 22%, coyote were responsible for half of the fatalities. More than any other single predator. Statistics in other states were even higher. the article is carefully to mention that coyote are important to the ecology and contribute to the over all health of the herd and population.

There is additional information as well which is worth reading.
http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/CoyoteResearch.shtm

Jeff

Sue Gremlin

Piney
Sep 13, 2005
Vicksburg, Michigan
An interesting link about coyotes. Studies have concluded that coyotes are a major predator of white tailed deer. The study focuses on West Virgina (eastern coyote) and Texas (western coyote) primarily. However, study in nearby Pa showed that 218 deer where radio tagged. 22% were killed and of that 22%, coyote were responsible for half of the fatalities. More than any other single predator. Statistics in other states were even higher. the article is carefully to mention that coyote are important to the ecology and contribute to the over all health of the herd and population.

There is additional information as well which is worth reading.
http://www.wvdnr.gov/hunting/CoyoteResearch.shtm

Jeff
This is what I learned in my skoolin as well. Only a part of the population consists of healthy and vigorous adult deer. The rest are fair game.

PINEY MIKE

Explorer
Jan 30, 2009
Bamber Lake
The link seems to be talking about mostly fawns. Theres no doubt in my mind that deer isnt on the menu. I just think its a whole lot less than some of us think, especially in Jersey.