Fish Hook In Leg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My other daughter went kayak fishing yesterday while traveling down a stream. She caught about 20 fish. However, as she caught the last one the fish started thrashing around and the fish hook went right into and out of her upper thigh. They finished the stream and headed to an urgent care and as they walked to the door previous patients coming out said there was a 2 hour wait. So they called another one and they said to come right in and that it was empty there.

My daughter had cut a hole in her new pants to see the area in question and the people there realized they did not have the tools to remove it. So the person with her went out to his truck and brought in the tools needed to do the job. In the end the people there still could not get it out so the tool man finished the job of removing it.

IMG_2385.jpg

IMG_2387.jpg

IMG_6625.jpg

Today

IMG_2401.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_2388.jpg
    IMG_2388.jpg
    55.7 KB · Views: 60
  • Wow
Reactions: Boyd

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Yikes, glad she's okay. Yes the procedure if it goes in far enough is to push it all the way through past the barb and then cut it with wire cutters, then pull the first half back out. Sucks but it's better than the trauma of trying to get that barb back through. Good reason to keep wire cutters in the tacklebox! If it won't go all the way through surgery is in order. :(

Reminds me of this episode of Alone, which was a real heartbreaker. This girl was a badass and I think she would have done very well if not for this incident:

Also 20 lb? We talking a channel or flathead catfish?

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Twenty fish she caught. The man she was with admitted she did better than him.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
My son was about 13 when he was fishing with some friends at a lake/pond in a campground. While reeling in a fish and trying to maneuver he tripped and put his hands out to stop his fall. Unfortunately his taklebox was open and his hand went in it and came out with several lures attached to him. I knew something was up when he came back suddenly with his hand hidden behind his back. I quick trip to SOCH and he was OK. I bet I paid for that new wing with just the visits from my 2 boys alone.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
My daughter is no stranger to fish hooks. Years ago Jessica was casting and caught Jennifer right on the skin on the outside edge of her eye. We were in Vermont and I ran down to the lake and had to dig it out.

In 1967 when I first went to Vermont my mom and dad decide to also go to Expo67 in Montreal. My grandmother and my cousins mom watch us and took both my brother and me to the granite quarry in central Vermont. My brother saw something under the back seat on the way there and reached down and grabbed a huge fishing lure which he got caught in. Needless to say my grandmother was furious.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
My other daughter went kayak fishing yesterday while traveling down a stream. She caught about 20 fish. However, as she caught the last one the fish started thrashing around and the fish hook went right into and out of her upper thigh. They finished the stream and headed to an urgent care and as they walked to the door previous patients coming out said there was a 2 hour wait. So they called another one and they said to come right in and that it was empty there.

My daughter had cut a hole in her new pants to see the area in question and the people there realized they did not have the tools to remove it. So the person with her went out to his truck and brought in the tools needed to do the job. In the end the people there still could not get it out so the tool man finished the job of removing it.

View attachment 17844

View attachment 17845

View attachment 17847

Today

View attachment 17848
Guy, I assume they gave her tetanus shot?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
She had one two years ago so they said she was good. They gave her a prescription for Augmentin but she could not get it filled until mid morning today. Since she has to take it every twelve hours she waited until 6PM tonight so she can take it at 6AM tomorrow. She has stomach issues all the time so she has to be really careful. She bought milk and yogurt to take it with.

Reactions: bobpbx

Pan

Explorer
Jul 4, 2011
Arizona
Ouch is right. Would they really make u wait 2 hours for something like that?

" they did not have the tools to remove it"

Don't even ambulances and rescue crews and police carry tools to rescue people from car accidents and the like, tools to saw or cut through things?

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Ouch is right. Would they really make u wait 2 hours for something like that?

" they did not have the tools to remove it"

Don't even ambulances and rescue crews and police carry tools to rescue people from car accidents and the like, tools to saw or cut through things?
In my experience, these Urgent Cares are like pop up businesses. They grab a place, put a few items inside, cobble together a staff, and man it with 2 people all day. Okay, so some are good, but still.

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
I had a hook deep in my finger while off shore fishing. Pushed it through, used wire cutters to cut off the barb end, backed out the remaining hook. Boy did I blead and I let it to flush it. The deck was red. My friend had no first aid kit so he wraped it in electrical tape. Back to fishing.

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
In my experience, these Urgent Cares are like pop up businesses. They grab a place, put a few items inside, cobble together a staff, and man it with 2 people all day. Okay, so some are good, but still.
The ones I've been to in my area are crap. You very seldom get to see an actual doctor. You have to pass a screening, otherwise, it's just a practitioner you get to see.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Ouch ! I hope she is doing well Guy.

I was sorting out tackle on the dining room table about 30 years ago and our most mischievous dog ever, Gunner, jumped up and grabbed a 6 oz. diamond jig. He started thrashing his head back and forth and worked to hook clean through his upper mug. We couldn't subdue him and I tried covering him with a blanket and holding his head but he wasn't having it. Off to the vet and $250 later, it was out.:)

Gunner was the same dog that jumped up and grabbed my unloaded revolver off the same table when I stepped out for about ten minutes. When I came back in he had chewed the walnut grips nearly off the frame. I kept them for years as a memento.

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
Here's my fishing story. About five years ago while fiahing in Oantario Canada, up above Minnesota, I got a fish hook stuck in the area of my thumb as I was taking off a small northen pike by a small double treble hook hardbait. Not too often do I catch a fish by the forward hook. The way I was holding the fish behind the head, the back hook set was resting on my thumb. All of sudden, the fish squirmed and the back hook went into my thumb.

At the time, there were three of us in the boat. I was up front, a guy in the middle, and Mike at thr rear. Nonchalantly I asked Mike I needed some help. The guy right behind me wondered why I didn't ask him. Well, Mike is a retired doctor who practiced medicine at the Mayo Clinic in Rochester MN. where he was renowned in his field of study, but not taking fish hooks out of people. However, he is a doctor. the best person to have in the boat. While he accessed the problem, finding a pair of pliers, and getting what he needed from his medical kit, for some reason, I got my other hand too close to the fish and the fish squirmed again, getting hooked in the thumb of my other hand. How I'm handcuffed. From there I don't quite recall everything that happen,, but Mike took good care of me.

Attachments

• 20220809_125218.jpg
    20220809_125218.jpg
    201.6 KB · Views: 35

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
She is fine. Had plenty of issues with the antibiotics so she is really glad to be over them.

Reactions: Boyd

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I casted off for pickerel at Davenport Branch Lake and promptly got the mepps spinner stuck in my head above my ear. I wore a beanie to the quick care in Forked River. The medical guy had me laughing with his true story of a surf fisherman who came in with one stuck in his ball sack.