Fishers

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
Below is a link to an interesting article about Fishers. The article is from a blog written by Marcia Bonta, naturalist from central PA and whom my wife Ro knows quite well, having originally lived nearby.
While PA, NY, WV are mentioned, NJ is not. However, the article points out that fishers re doing well, tolerate "civilization", roam widely and don't seem constrained by topography or anything else in their wanderings.
Enjoy.

https://marciabonta.wordpress.com/2018/07/02/central-appalachian-fishers/

Reactions: manumuskin

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I saw one in Cook Forest State park, PA about ten years ago.I didn't even know they were in PA till I saw it looking at me over top of a log about fifty feet off the road i was walking.I followed it for a ways before it magically disappeared.I then later that day read about their introduction into Allegheny national Forest 30 miles to the north I believe in the 70"s? It looked like a weasel on steroids

Reactions: Jon Holcombe

Pinesbucks

Explorer
Apr 15, 2013
Here in new england I have had two close calls with them. They are mean and nasty. One my daughter called a ferret as it crossed the road. I told her that was no ferret that was a Fisher cat. We got up to where it went in the woods and stopped. Well it didnt like that and came back snarling. My daughter was yelling for me to put the window up and go. The other time I was bowhunting and almost had to use the bow as self defense as one came half way up the tree all pissed off.