fishing in the pine barrens

HerringKing

Scout
Jan 25, 2009
Mt. Laurel, NJ
I'm looking for places to fish in the Pine Barrens for pickerel and sunfish. I am a strong believer in catch and release and will not disrespect anyones fishing spot. Either shore line fishing or from asmall boat

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
There are almost too many places to fish to list here, unless you can narrow down your preferred area. I’d recommend going to the NJ Division of Fish & Wildlife’s website, clicking on the fishing tab, then on Places to Fish. They give all the accessible waters, by county.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Just about any bog reservoir, pond or lake on public property holds pickeral and sunnies. You might start in the state parks, forests and WMA's..

HerringKing

Scout
Jan 25, 2009
Mt. Laurel, NJ
I'm actually looking for the banded sunfish. It has recently been put on the endanger list but I want to catch one, get a picture of it and then release it. I was told they are easily to catch in the pine barrens. If I would look some where near Rt. 70 or 72 what county would that be?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I'm actually looking for the banded sunfish. It has recently been put on the endanger list but I want to catch one, get a picture of it and then release it. I was told they are easily to catch in the pine barrens. If I would look some where near Rt. 70 or 72 what county would that be?

Why would you want to stress out something on the endangered list? JMO, let it be and enjoy the pictures already available.

bandedsun.gif

Route 70 & 72 run thru a couple counties, check a map, its all there.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
If it is on the endangered list it would be illegal to touch let alone catch. Even catching to release is considered possession and can bring up to a 10,000 dollar fine. I would check the legalities first.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Yes, the blackbanded sunfish is illegal to catch but has been caught and exploited illegally in the domestic (pet) fish market. It is too small to be a game fish anyway, but is very important in the aquatic ecosystem.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Wow something exploited in the pet market, who would have thought.

Jeff, is it protected because of it being a popular aquarium fish?

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor

I remember reading an article in an aquarium magazine about the problems resulting from collecting tropical fish from the wild, in countries lacking laws preventing it. Many species are more easily collected than bred in captivity. And when there is a market, the collecting will occur, legal or not.

As I’m sure you know, that’s certainly and issue with herps. I think illegal collection for the pet trade is an even bigger problem than the habitat loss we discussed in the train thread. I encountered an individual a few years back near High Crossing with a snake stick who didn’t strike me as someone doing legitimate research.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
GermanG, if you ever see anyone in that area, or any area of the pines collecting or with a snake stick email me. In fact I'll pm you my cell phone number.
Thanks

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
I've fished the pine Barrens since I was Twelve and have never caught anything resembling the banded sunfish, Tons of Crappie Bluegills Pickerel and Bass, Plus the Herring that are in the lakes now.

tom m

Explorer
Jan 9, 2006
Hammonton,NJ.
Ok ,I don't know where it went ,But I tried to attach a Picture Of a true Pine barrens Leviathan

Attachments

• Picture 009.jpg
    Picture 009.jpg
    129.1 KB · Views: 1,021

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery

While studies of populations of blackbanded sunfish have been conducted, it has not been determined if wild harvesting for the pet market has been a factor.

The blackbanded sunfish is rare and only occurs in the pinebarrens, and North Carolina. Although a small population exists in Va (where I believe it is endangered) and maybe Fl (I think). The pinebarrens is it's most northern range. Interestingly, I believe the pinebarrens contains the healthiest population of blackbanded sunfish (possibly in the world). It is illegal to catch them because they are not game fish and they are protected by the umbrella that all non-game fish/animals cannot be removed from the state forest. They are bred in captivity for commercial markets but wild ones have been introduced and often kill off their captive bred relatives with diseases the captive bred fish can not tolerate.

I've come across blackbanded sunfish frequently during draught situations when they are stranded in land locked puddles. They are extremely important in the food chain and reduce water born insect populations. They are too small to be caught on rod and reel for all practical purposes.

Jeff

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
anywhere there is water in the pines your shure to catch pickerel, bullhead catfish and bass once in a while. Hard to get to spots will yeild better results.