Five Points Hunting & Fishing Club

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
On April 3, 1950 Philip Schaffer sold land to the Five Points Hunting & Fishing Club on Red Onion Road in Shamong. On May 18, 1954 they paid $25 for Atlantic City Electric to place a pole with guy wires on their property in Medford. I don't know where that is but one might assume it is located at 5 Points in Medford at Stokes and Tuckerton.

Then on March 31, 1964 they sold the 7.7 acre property on Red Onion Road to Lahn Real Estate. At that time the club had added INC to the end of their name.

I have looked for a 7.7 acre piece of property around Red Onion Road and don't see one.

Dragon, what you tell us? Have you heard of this club?

Five.jpg

Notice this says partly in Medford and partly in Shamong. I would then assume I would have to add up the acreage in Medford and Shamong to get 7.7 acres. I will have to work on that.
Five Point.jpg

Reactions: 66C10

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Very interesting, I didn’t even realize red onion was a road prior to the development going in there. Guy there is some old foundation, glass and debris just behind the house on the corner of Atsion and red onion (jungle Jim sign). Now they last spring built a home there so I’m wondering if it all got destroyed. That is two houses down from me so I will walk thru the woods now and see if there is still debris there. Perhaps that was part of an old hunt club. I always assumed it was related to jungle Jim.

Reactions: Teegate

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Guy, just walked over. Unfortunately the new house built destroyed most of the old tires, glass, cinder block that was there. There is still 1-2 depressions there with very old cinder block. There is also this monument heading back towards my house.

Attachments

• IMG_0013.png
    IMG_0013.png
    4.2 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0010.jpeg
    IMG_0010.jpeg
    7.8 MB · Views: 48
  • IMG_0011.jpeg
    IMG_0011.jpeg
    7.5 MB · Views: 54

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks Chris. It could be a club or just trash. Hard to tell. The monument appears to be the corner of Block 10 Lot 11 which is the house property. Not state, so I will most likely pass on going there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The topo shows a building there in 1954 and 1960.

Screenshot 2023-12-03 at 2.31.13 PM.png

Rooftree

Explorer
Mar 24, 2017
Haddon Township
My take; the hunting club may have been on Oniontown Rd in Medford, just off of Tuckerton Rd up from the intersection with Stokes. At one time, a fifth road came into that intersection (Indian Mills Rd), but was cut off short and curved to the left onto Stokes, just south of the intesection.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That is where I felt they got their name. I did not know there was an Oniontown Road there. I see it now. They are right at Shamong and Medford as the deed says. Let me investigate this. I see a 7.8 acre lot there and the deed says 7.7.

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
Yes that is the spot I see on visual inspection where there is cinder block and depression in ground like a foundation was there.

The oniontown part is confusing to me too.

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
My buddy hunted that general area for a long time and always called it 5 Points or Red Onion. My buddy hunts with a club that my older son just joined and they still drive it occasionally. There are some odd private pieces back in there owned by some North Jersey guys that no one has ever seen. At least that was the case about 4 years ago when I hunted in there a few times.
I just checked and they are still privately owned.

Reactions: dragoncjo