Flashlight of Choice?

Jul 12, 2006
Gloucester City, NJ
Although my passion has dropped off quite a bit over the last several years, I still consider myself a hobbyist when it comes to flashlights. I've been into flashlights and flashlight collecting for at least a couple decades.

While I would imagine headlamps would be the priority in a group such like this, I am curious as to your brand and flashlight of choice either when you're out and about exploring or at home or in your vehicle.

Back in the day, I would be into the more expensive brands of flashlight, such as Surefire and many of the customs. Now, I get more enjoyment out of spending the least amount of money that I can to get the best that I can for that money. Over the years, I found myself more concerned about tint and CRI values than brightness.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I've been replacing the small AAA battery-powered LED lights I have in each of my vehicles and scattered around the house with rechargeable ones which use charging wires with a USB connector on one end and a phone-type connector on the other. I'm tired of throwing in the trash batteries that are no longer recyclable. These new ones seem to be working well so far and can be charged from a wall outlet, my computer or a 12 volt car outlet. While they come with cables, if you choose one that matches your phone cable connector, it couldn't be easier.

Last edited:

imkms

Explorer
Feb 18, 2008
SJ and SW FL
My wife calls me a flashlight nut and I do have my share of flashlights. For my vehicle I still prefer to use a battery flashlight as I can always find new batteries when traveling and I’ve had great luck with most batteries lasting years. I have an inexpensive 4 D battery lantern sitting in the garage for years, and checked it a few weeks back for camping. I always remove the batteries after using it and when I checked, the batteries had an expiration date of 2012, but it still worked fine!
The biggest problem is finding a flashlight that doesn’t have 5 modes! I don’t need high, low, sos, red, etc. On and Off is all that’s needed and I finally found a small 2 AAA flashlight with On/Off only on Amazon. It’s well built, very bright, adjustable beam, all metal and looks and feels like it should cost much more.

Last edited:

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I used to be a "flashlight nut" myself before retiring in 2011. Since then, I have lost interest - I already probably have enough flashlights to last a lifetime! :D I have one Surefire flashlight, it's nice but not nice enough to justify the price or the special batteries it uses. Working backstage in dark theaters throughout my career, flashlights were a necessity. And since I also worked as a lighting designer, naturally I was interested in all kinds of lighting instruments. I remember when they introduced the MagLite, that was so cool in its day. Then along came LED's and they were instantly obsolete!

The ones I use now are small with bright LED's, all at least 10 years old and probably no longer being sold. I also have some large LED lanterns (Coleman, I think?) that I've used for outdoor parties in the past but also very handy for power outages. Like I said, not very interested in flashlights these days.

Reactions: this_is_nascar

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
My wife calls me a flashlight nut and I do have my share of flashlights. For my vehicle I still prefer to use a battery flashlight as I can always find new batteries when traveling and I’ve had great luck with most batteries lasting years. I have an inexpensive 4 D battery lantern sitting in the garage for years, and checked it a few weeks back for camping. I always remove the batteries after using it and when I checked, the batteries had an expiration date of 2012, but it still worked fine!
The biggest problem is finding a flashlight that doesn’t have 5 modes! I don’t need high, low, sos, red, etc. On and Off is all that’s needed and I finally found a small 3 AAA flashlight with On/Off only on Amazon. It’s well built, very bright, adjustable beam, all metal and looks and feels like it should cost much more.
I feel the same way about modes. I don't want to cycle through them to get what I want which a light.
What light did you buy?

66C10

Scout
Aug 4, 2023
South Vineland
I use Astro Pneumatic 52SL extensively in my field of work. I would consider it a “drop light” but is great for lighting a large area at close range. Very tough as well.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I just buy a 3 pack of LEDs from a big box store and scattered them about. Even then, I always wonder why I can only find one when I need them, and that's after a search. They always work.

1696864851756.png