Following Up On A Tip ...... And More

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

It has been a struggle but I finally found this contraption which I was given a tip to in the past few week. Does anyone know exactly what it is used for. I am thinking rainwater or bugs but not really sure. In one of the bags there are plastic vials that have lids on them, and some of the bags are randomly hanging in trees.

IMG_9628.JPG

IMG_9629.JPG

IMG_9630.JPG

This was in the cup at the bottom. It looks like a pest strip that Shell Oil use to sell that would kill bugs.

IMG_9633.JPG

IMG_9638.JPG

We then went looking for the ruins of an old building that I saw on HistoricAerials. We never did get there for various reason but along the way we stumbled on the new route of the Batona Trail. It does not look used and is pretty rough in some area's.

IMG_9639.JPG

These were all over the place near 72 along the new trail.

IMG_9644.jpg

We then went to the location where we have been watching the Lady Slippers. Today they were blooming but still very early. I saw what appeared to be a spider on one of them.

IMG_9646.JPG

A closer look makes it look like a monster bug.

IMG_96460000.jpg

IMG_9648.jpg

IMG_9653.JPG

IMG_9650.jpg

Guy

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
At the southern terminus of the Batona Trail there is a dirt road about 1/4 mile west of the trail that parallels it. That same plastic contraption you photographed is about 50 yards deep in the woods near the beginning of that dirt road. It has been there for years. On two occasions I have seen people checking it. Two years ago a girl who was back there told me it was a research project for an entomology class she was taking at Rutgers.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
This is a different place but I suspect it is what you say. Thanks for the post Old Crazy!

Guy

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
That long looking guy is a Lindgren Funnel Trap

Lindgren Funnel Trap

lindgren-funnel.jpg

For more than 20 years, the most effective and user-friendly beetle trap worldwide.
  • used to reduce populations of bark beetles, ambrosia beetles and other wood-boring insects, including wood wasps
  • used to detect the presence of invasive insects at ports of entry
  • collapses for easy storage and transportation
  • collection cups come with conical drain screens for dry trapping, or a rubber bung for wet-trapping
  • vapor tape to kill captured insects in dry collection cups can be purchased separately
  • durable - can be used for several seasons
  • all parts are replaceable and can be purchased separately
  • lure holders for small and large lures also available
Lindgren funnel traps can be purchased with different numbers of funnels:
16: used by researchers to provide optimal tree-mimicking silhouette
12: provides a strong vertical silhouette plus efficacy and ease of use - best all-round trap for pest suppression and detection programs
8: vertical silhouette plus economy - used in pest monitoring programs that do not require every beetle be caught
4: for indoor trapping of beetles that infest stored grain and other food products

http://www.forestrydistributing.com/p/103/lindgren-funnel-trap

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Thanks! They are $50 each and there are a bunch of them out there. Must be nice to spend that money and leave them there. I should try and sell them since they are in perfect shape :)

Guy

Old Crazy

Explorer
Oct 13, 2007
Stinking Creek, NJ
Thanks! They are $50 each and there are a bunch of them out there. Must be nice to spend that money and leave them there. I should try and sell them since they are in perfect shape :)

Guy

LOL! A guy and a girl who were checking on one of those funnel traps got nervous when I spotted them. The girl, who was within earshot of me, said to her companion, "Uh-oh, that guy sees us. Maybe we should move this someplace else so it doesn't get stolen."

I shouted back, "Don't worry, I lost almost a year of my life to Lyme disease. I wouldn't walk through all that thick brush to get to that thing if you taped a hundred dollar bill to it."

She looked at me nervously and said, "You mean there's ticks out here?"

I'm thinking, "Are there ticks out here? What the hell are they teaching these kids in this entomology class?"

Reactions: dogg57

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Al, does the name on John's photo seem familiar?

Thanks for the info John!

Guy