Food at State Parks

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
It's not a new concept. When I was younger, many state parks had such concessions, including some of those listed. Many of the structures from which they operated still exist, such as the one at Bass River.

Reactions: Jersey Jeff

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
It has been that way for quite some time. Batsto has the hot dog truck and souvenir shop, Cape May SP has a hot dog truck. IBSP has an indoor food spot, souvenir shop and recently has allowed liquor sales, which I totally disagree with. Allaire has a bakery and food spot. Commercialization and naming rights of the parks and forests is probably next on the horizon, the camping reservation system already is. Wharton Sate Forest brought to you by Verizon and the Pepsi Visitor Center at Batsto. Similar stuff happened already in our National Parks.

http://1057thehawk.com/new-tiki-bar-opens-at-island-beach-state-park/

Last edited:

lj762

Explorer
Feb 18, 2017
Bass River State Forest
At Bass River SF, the food concession operates right at the lake beach area. They seem to do a pretty good business. I think the way it works is that the state gets a fixed amount for the season - not a percentage of what they take in. And the DEP has to approve the items for sale and prices.

What bothers me is the idea of a food concession in a carry-in/carry-out park - meaning no public trash cans. While a lot of people do the right thing, enough litter either escapes from or is tossed by park visitors. Seasonal employees and some volunteers spend a lot of time picking up litter, and I wonder how much of that is from the concession.

But this year I looked through the bid proposal and found 25(C) which says "Any wrappings, containers, bowls, plates, cartons, or cups that are not intended for reuse must be composed of biodegradable material." And 25(D) says "No glass containers of any kind..." Am I reading that right? They can't sell water bottles, soda cans, foil packs of chips? That would be great, if true.

Reactions: Teegate