For us old.....

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The same can be said of the younger generation frequenting the pines. My fear is that one day the public will be more than willing to give away state land. They won't be using it so why keep it......

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
I have always loved the woods but never had any interest in backpacking. You don't need to be a backpacker to understand the value of public land, especially here in the densely populated Northeast. Sometimes young people just can't get a break… one side accuses them of being tree-hugging greenies while the other thinks they will give away our state forests. :D

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I have always loved the woods but never had any interest in backpacking. You don't need to be a backpacker to understand the value of public land, especially here in the densely populated Northeast. Sometimes young people just can't get a break… one side accuses them of being tree-hugging greenies while the other thinks they will give away our state forests. :D

I think it all depends on how they are raised. Nowadays it's stick a tv or computer in front of them and let them play in their virtual world. :(

Reactions: Backwoods_Doe

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
"I think it all depends on how they are raised. Nowadays it's stick a tv or computer in front of them and let them play in their virtual world. :("

Not on my watch.

Reactions: joc and Boyd

johnnyb

Explorer
Feb 22, 2013
I sent this article out to my daughter Ann in Oklahoma, who is quite active in backpacking in the wilderness. Here's her reply:
I just got home from outings leader training. Most were 30-35. Sierra club requires outings leaders to go through training, first aid and wilderness first aid and lead a provisional hike with another leader before you can actually lead a hike. In our beginner backpack class we normally have as many young folks as older. Not too many with young kids but lots just out of college or parents of older kids.

When Katherine and I did coyote gulch in UT Most of the folks we saw looked in their mid 20's. (Go Google Coyote Gulch - beautiful and watch the video going through crack in the wall. That is the hike we did. Oh yeah, the video is a young couple and their young child).

I hike in AR CO UT & NM and see mostly mid 20-30's. When we were camped last year near the trail to the peak in the Never Summer Range the stream of folks going to the summit were teens or 20's though there was a group in their 70's & 80's.

I think this guy mistyped; he writes. He doesn't Hike.

Reactions: Boyd