Forest Management

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks for posting this John, but I really don't get what they are doing here. The land was supposed to be left to nature, not man's manipulations. Whatever changes we see there, are because of man, so now man feels he has to manage it to suit himself.

I don't subscribe to this kind of stuff. Do you think I'm off base here?

smoke_jumper

Piney
Mar 5, 2012
Atco, NJ
Thanks for posting this John, but I really don't get what they are doing here. The land was supposed to be left to nature, not man's manipulations. Whatever changes we see there, are because of man, so now man feels he has to manage it to suit himself.

I don't subscribe to this kind of stuff. Do you think I'm off base here?
I don't think you're off base at all. I personally don't know what the best answer is. Even by doing nothing mans influence has shaped that piece of forrest. With the lack of predators the deer population was left to explode. Surrounded by farms left it vulnerable to invasives and so on.
Our pines are facing the same dilemma. Leather leaf is taking over the spungs, fire suppression has made the average age of the pines much older and the beaver population is exploding and killing off cedar swamps acres at a time. These are only a few samples but IMHO some direct human intervention is needed to counter some of the indirect human influences.

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Take note that above the first photo is an 8 minute audio file to listen to.