Forked River Mountain Cleanup

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
O.k.,
So I don't do anything stupid... When you say Wells Mills you mean exactly where we met for German's gig?
I have to ask just for curiousity, I do not know the area you speak of well, so honestly, is alot of it that tore up to need such rugged vehicles?
I have one rather sizable 4WD in mind but I must inquire.

** Weather in Waretown area looks like showers & in the 50's Sunday.
Beats sweatin'.
g.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Yes to Germans gig location. I will see you there again. :)

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
O.k.,
So I don't do anything stupid... When you say Wells Mills you mean exactly where we met for German's gig?
I have to ask just for curiousity, I do not know the area you speak of well, so honestly, is alot of it that tore up to need such rugged vehicles?
I have one rather sizable 4WD in mind but I must inquire.

** Weather in Waretown area looks like showers & in the 50's Sunday.
Beats sweatin'.
g.

We got word today we are getting a township dump truck for my area, so your vehicle is not a necessity. See my PM to you George.

YETI

Scout
Mar 11, 2007
Berlin
Bob, there is a chance that I might be able to go. I have the 4WD truck that George mentioned. I am going to try to do my best and be there.

Paul

jmaul

Dec 11, 2007
Alright, you folks got me. Unless some unforeseen circumstance comes up, I'll be there. I have a Ford Supercrew, so there will be space for 4 other passengers if we need to get back somewhere with 4WD. German, if you want me to shuttle folks around, I'll do it. Whatever you want. The family camping wasn't going to work out this weekend (wife just started a new job and there's a ton of things going on). Besides, my truck has been telling me that I need to get back in the Pines. Seems I have a short on both my oil pressure guage and my odometer, but when I hit the washboard dirt roads for a spell, it makes better contact and clears the problem up for some time.

Looking forward to meeting some of you Sunday......

Jeff

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Alright, you folks got me. Unless some unforeseen circumstance comes up, I'll be there. I have a Ford Supercrew, so there will be space for 4 other passengers if we need to get back somewhere with 4WD. German, if you want me to shuttle folks around, I'll do it. Whatever you want. The family camping wasn't going to work out this weekend (wife just started a new job and there's a ton of things going on). Besides, my truck has been telling me that I need to get back in the Pines. Seems I have a short on both my oil pressure guage and my odometer, but when I hit the washboard dirt roads for a spell, it makes better contact and clears the problem up for some time.

Looking forward to meeting some of you Sunday......

Jeff

That would be good. We need trucks going to my area that carry people.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Participating today from this site as far as I could tell was Jmaul, Largo, Yeti, me, Jessica, German, and Bobpbx. If I forgot anyone I am so sorry. After meeting at Wells Mills all of us except German headed to the power lines along the Parkway where were promised quite a bit of trash. Along with that we were told there was a car engine and car frame. Yeti set about pulling that frame out of the woods with his vehicle which was quite impressive. Jessica and I were dropped off first along the road where we worked our way to the power lines and then along it. The amount of bottles was staggering and I am sure we only found a small percentage of them.

Jessica along the parkway.

IMG_0784.JPG

Yeti and Largo with others across the way. The middle vehicle is the work horse of Yeti’s.

IMG_0786.JPG

A closer look. They not only removed the vehicle, they picked up trash and as you can see pickup up the bags along the route.

IMG_0787.JPG

Our leader bobpbx through the window of Jmaul’s vehicle giving hand sign directions on when to stop along the route for trash.

IMG_0790.JPG

Notice the engine.

IMG_0793.JPG

Some of the Yeti trash :)

IMG_0794.JPG

A few of the tires.

IMG_0795.JPG

And the most interesting find of the day. After everyone had left except Jessica, me, Jeff (Jmal), and bobpbx, Bob found this 5 foot long pine snake in a location that I can’t reveal. You would all be surprised where it was at. Here is a photo from Jessica’s camera phone of her holding it. The snake was quite docile and Bob was able to hold it with one hand in the middle of the snake and it seemed to not really care. Jmaul has a photo of it with his camera which I hope he posts for everyone to see.

Her stick arms were almost no match for this snake.

snake4.jpg

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Whatta day

All,
What a wonderful & eventful day!
It was a pleasure to be apart of it. I did see German but never got a chance to say hello, sorry. Our funny start was being one turn away from Wells Mills park and Yeti was pulled over for a lift inspection. After telling the police Occifer about our mission, he let us go, with strong warnings.
The crowd was not as large as I would think but the work got done.
Very cool to meet JMAUL and put a face to the name. Guy & Jess, a pleasure as always. You two really dived in to the crappy job of sorting cans and bottles out for pick up. I myself like big things. Bob, as usual you never dissapoint. For starters we were taken down a trail that played heck with the size of Yeti's truck. We then went to an area that posed much to pick up and while trying to get a load of vehicle seat from a puddle I was startled by, or did startle a young Snapping Turtle.
While Bob & the township equipment took on a motor, we decided to take on an entire wreck. Again, the YETI pulled through.
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/419/medium/YETI_1.JPG
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/419/medium/YETI_2.JPG
This thing put up a good fight but we got it out.
There was a great deal of minimal trash to deal with and instead of waiting for the township truck, YETI made the rounds in the pit area picking up full bags (He just wanted to play)
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/419/medium/YETI_3.JPG
We really filled 'er up.
Not a great shot, but one of Guy & Jess chillin'. They really worked, this is probably the only time I saw them rest.
http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/data/419/medium/GUY1.JPG
We really had a blast with a couple locals of the Forked River area.
Kieth & his dad in the silver jeep were our kind of folks, very similar horticultural interests. Pines, Grasses, Barley, Hopps.
While the cleanup crew was doing hot dogs & soda, which is cool, Kieth, his dad & us dumped our loads and entertained sandwiches and cold ones locally.
On the way out we took a wrong turn & went down what was not even a Jeep trail but barely a Quad trail... Yeti's truck suffered much in trees & limbs!
The sad part of this was that right at the road, Yeti had realized he was still in 4 wheel low and while at a slight roll tried to disengage. Not good!
It locked. We all messed under it but could not get it out.
We then went to Wells Mills just to check in & make sure everyone was cool and did not need our services before long ride home. We just missed Guy & Bob, by about 30 seconds. We took 539 down to the poor man's parkway, to Leek's town road & 542 @ Wading river bridge.
two and a half hours at 20 MPH. Got home at 3:00.
That kind of sucked but man, you really get to see sights at 20 MPH along the way you may normally miss at 50 or 60.
I was seriously cruddy and could not wait to shower. I will say this...
Bob, I hope we did some good. It seemed like it! You always support the Wharton clean-up so this seemed only fair and we got to meet some mighty nice folks. You've got some nice area up there sir.
I thank you for the invite.
Sorry not to see Ben.

g.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Nice report Largo. Thanks for the call informing us of the car problem.

Below are my tracks in that area for today. Jess and I started at the left yellow arrow and ended at the right. Obviously, they are only my tracks and she did some of the area on the left on the power lines. I have never witnessed so many bottles. And the woman you see in Largo's photo next to us deserves a mention. She and her male friend worked extremely well, one on each side of the power lines. Very efficent, and one who hopefully returnes. She told us her and the friend pick a park or location each week and clean up on their own, which impresses me.

tracks.jpg

Guy

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Thanks to everyone who came from the board. We did really really good at the site we were at. That site was always, due to the distance and difficulty getting in to it, last on the list. Now its done, and done well.

I hope Paul's truck is okay.

YETI

Scout
Mar 11, 2007
Berlin
It was a great to meet Bob, Guy & Jessica, and Jeff. I had a great time until the very end. The truck is stuck in 4-low. But only for now. It wouldn't have been as bad if I did it on the trail. Instead I waited until I got to the main road to be absent minded. DAMN. Aside from that I had a blast. It was really fun. Can't wait till next time. Great job everyone.

Paul.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
It was a great to meet Bob, Guy & Jessica, and Jeff. I had a great time until the very end. The truck is stuck in 4-low. But only for now. It wouldn't have been as bad if I did it on the trail. Instead I waited until I got to the main road to be absent minded. DAMN. Aside from that I had a blast. It was really fun. Can't wait till next time. Great job everyone.

Paul.

Can it be fixed easily? Do you know what is wrong?

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Can it be fixed easily? Do you know what is wrong?

Not so much to answer for Paul but his mechanics are a little limited...
It seems part of the problem was the shifting on the fly when the truck is not meant to be. The linkage got hung up which was fixed quite easily but the actual lever on the side of the transfer case had to go back two notches to get in to 2-W-H and it was not giving with pressure by hand or tool.
If any gears themselves in the transfer case were damaged, we would have known immediately. It got us home so I am hoping that with minimal work it can be freed up.

g.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Did you try driving backwards and trying again? That works often.

Guy

LARGO

Piney
Sep 7, 2005
Pestletown
Did you try driving backwards and trying again? That works often.Guy

Many times, no good.

On a side note, regarding the snake photo...
I must say, kudos to Jess. While in a pinch I would do whatever needed, I do not go out of my way to hold snakes. It was a good picture and For that I say Jess is a better lad than I. That is meant sincerely and not in jest.

g.

jmaul

Dec 11, 2007
Yes, good times and a wonderful cause. Glad I was involved.

It was great meeting those of you for the first time (discussions with Yeti and Largo were limited for we went off to different cleanup areas). Hopefully it won't be the last time. Was also nice meeting and working with some of the FRM Coalition members. I only have a handfull of photos from the day http://gallery.njpinebarrens.com/showgallery.php?cat=653 .

An area before...
watermark.php

And after....
watermark.php

Hangin out on the mountain...
watermark.php

Ahh yes, the Pine Snake....
watermark.php

watermark.php

I don't know how many bottles and cans were picked up in our group, but we probably got close to 1000 each.

Yeti, sorry to hear about the truck. Hopefully it just needs a bit of 'persuasion' to clear up the issue.

Guy, still thinking of reviving that thread we were discussing. Have to do a bit more research first to see if I can better substantiate my theory.

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Jeff,

I am sorry I was not very helpful with the map. I actually needed time to refresh my memory for the previous posts on that subject. I had forgotten all that was mentioned. The woods do look much better without the bottles and cans. A nice before and after pair of photo’s.

Can you PM me the link to that topo photo we discussed? I have not found it again.

Guy

YETI

Scout
Mar 11, 2007
Berlin
Hey everybody. Just wanted to let everyone know that I got the truck running right again. Apparently in order to get out of 4-low the truck needs to be in NEUTRAL. Imagine that. Some kind of new "trick" gear automatic transmissions have. I guess I should think about learning how to drive and getting my license one of these days. Oh well, now I know.

Paul.