Forked River Mountain Hike

tjw1014

Mar 30, 2022
Toms River
Knowing all too well about that notorious puddle of mud, given the recent dry spell we've had, I decided to drive to the FRM.

Started from Jones Rd all the way to the junction with Bryant Rd. Bone dry. Got to the notorious mud pit and with was also bone dry. Aside from many whoops and some soft spots of sand, the trip there was without issue in my Xterra. Took about an hour from 539 to the base of the hill.

I had seen there was some recent confusion to whether or not motor vehicles are prohibited from this area. Some people say it's off limits, others say it's open. I only saw two signs that said ATVs/ORVs were prohibited. Nothing about registered motor vehicles. If I'm wrong, my apologies and I'll make the trek on foot next time.

The FRM has seen significant erosion from ATVs, dirt bikes, and other vehicles, so to not further disturb anything, I parked in a drainage side cut at the base of the hill and trekked up on foot.

I was quite surprised to see how clean the place was. Aside from a few cans and wrappers wedged in between the deliberately cut logs (used to slow the erosion and cut access to ATVs) there was very minimal garbage. One tree at the view point was recently charred. Gorgeous day outside.

Attachments

• IMG_0437.jpeg
    IMG_0437.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 43
  • IMG_0413.jpeg
    3.5 MB · Views: 36
  • IMG_0432.jpeg
    4.3 MB · Views: 33

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Good to know it is dry. I have a few things to visit in that area and may go soon to check them out. I have stayed away because of the water.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
The mountain is only clean because the Forked River Mountain Coalition cleans it each year. I myself was part of the crew last year, as was German, and Dawn Jennings, and a group of active teenagers. About 5 or so bags of cans and bottles were taken out.

By the way, that is very nice looking vehicle you have, and it's a real treat to see someone actually using one like yours in places it was built for.

PS: no license on the front. Either blacked out, or from out of state, or a temp tag on the back?

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
PS: no license on the front. Either blacked out, or from out of state, or a temp tag on the back?
On a similar subject, have you noticed cars with NJ tags that are black and gold? The car was black and gold as well. Then I saw another car with the tag black and gold. My daughter says you can send your tags to a company that will strip them and paint them a color of your choice. Completely illegal I am sure but they are out there.

I guess if you are driving the car you just send one to be painted and when it comes back you send the other?

• Wow
Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Looks like a NJ registration sticker on the windshield. I see NJ cars with no front plate pretty often and wonder about that. A Google search just now says that front plates are currently required, however a bill and petition were introduced in 2022 to only require rear plates. Apparently, it did not pass.

Reactions: stiltzkin

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
I guess if you are driving the car you just send one to be painted and when it comes back you send the other?

At least one version of this is sold as a "wrap kit" with decals in all kinds of color combinations and you can do it yourself at home. The companies that sell them list them as "for retired plates only" or "for showroom use, not DMV approved" etc. Likely illegal and I'm sure you can be ticketed for it, the same as you can be ticketed for not having the front plate installed - but I do see them on the road from time to time.

Reactions: Boyd

tjw1014

Mar 30, 2022
Toms River
The mountain is only clean because the Forked River Mountain Coalition cleans it each year. I myself was part of the crew last year, as was German, and Dawn Jennings, and a group of active teenagers. About 5 or so bags of cans and bottles were taken out.

By the way, that is very nice looking vehicle you have, and it's a real treat to see someone actually using one like yours in places it was built for.

Jersey plates. I've never run a front plate on any of my vehicles. Nobody's ever given me an issue. Extra plate stays in the glove box.

Reactions: bobpbx

stiltzkin

Explorer
Feb 8, 2022
Medford
Looks like a NJ registration sticker on the windshield. I see NJ cars with no front plate pretty often and wonder about that. A Google search just now says that front plates are currently required, however a bill and petition were introduced in 2022 to only require rear plates. Apparently, it did not pass.

This proposal is still hanging around in both the Assembly and the Senate in the current session, I think. Who knows if it will go anywhere, though.

enormiss

Explorer
Aug 18, 2015
Atco NJ
I don't get this... why would you even care
Not caring is why I don't :)
Lost one (fell off) and not paying for replacement
Other vehicle is from out of state, has a plate somewhere but no mounting bracket
3rd car has a front plate but it's so old and road debris blasted it's almost bare aluminum
That "wrap kit" sounds interesting, unless I just take it off! LoL

Reactions: tjw1014