Forked River Mountain

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Was walking around FRM yesterday to celebrate earth day. At the top are a bunch of concrete barriers piled up. Not sure if these will be used to block the roads around the mountains or to shore up the north side which is washing away pretty badly.
IMG_4145.jpg

Reactions: Teegate

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Took a walk up to Forked River Mountain on Saturday night at 8:00 and it was 49 degrees! The stars and moon were out and you could see Saturn and Jupiter. You could see the flashing colors of the ferris wheel in Seaside Heights. All the cement barriers are still sitting up there in the same spot. The north side is so rutted and washed out in most spots you could not drive up it anymore. Originally when they bought the property they talked about shoring the north side up to stop it from eroding more. Not sure what the plan is now. On another note, since it is county property will they allow hunting this year?

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
So today I decide to take the wife and kids out to FRM. It has been a couple of months since I was out there. They have cleared more edges of the roads leading up to the base. It is at least back 15-20 feet on each side. They also burned the woods from the base of the mountain to the railroad. When we walked up, one of the concrete barriers (post #1) was lying in the trail. I just thought somebody dragged it down with a truck or something. Once I was at the top, I realized they had put some piles of dirt and a concrete barrier to block access to the trail that goes around the middle of the mountain, When I went to go check out the view looking NE I saw this. The smaller drop offs are all blocked. The large one is graded smooth. It is not blocked at the top but has barriers down at the bottom.

IMG_0146.jpg
IMG_0145.jpg

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
You have to go check it out Bob. I will have to get there to check on something else.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Was out on the mountain on Monday afternoon. The county has 3 pieces of equipment at the "white gate entrance" off of Lacey Rd. Driving by I could see a grader and tree cutter, The mountain still looks the same with the north side still eroding badly. The county seems to be taking their time with this project. They have thinned both sides of the road in front of the mountain (Mountain Rd?) from the Tuckerton Railroad almost to fork with Bryant Rd. They also widened the trail which is now a road that is just pass the mountain and cuts over to Old Rd, up to the Factory branch. They burned from this road all the way to the railroad bed. When you go in the opposite direction or to the left, they widened and burned this area too. For the longest time you could never drive down this road as it had multiple huge and deep puddles/holes. They did not fill or grade over them. They just plowed the trees down and made a road that goes around each puddle. The same goes for the section of Bryant road, they did not grade any of the giant mud holes but made the bypass around them wider.

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
What is your access route? You go in off of Lacey?

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Was walking around FRM yesterday to celebrate earth day. At the top are a bunch of concrete barriers piled up. Not sure if these will be used to block the roads around the mountains or to shore up the north side which is washing away pretty badly.View attachment 13420
These blocks have been there at least 2 years if I recall. They’ve chopped down dozens of trees in the area, maybe more. Instead of grading the roads leading up to the area, they cut down more trees and made small roads around puddles. I’ll never understand this type of conservation. There are other areas nearby (near the dirt road with red sand) that live trees have been chopped down to lay across dirt roads. People made more roads around them so now the road is 3X wider and they killed a bunch of trees as well.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
What is your access route? You go in off of Lacey?
Yes, Going west on Lacey Rd the most common way is to turn in a narrow trail just before the guardrail going over the factory branch. You will definitely be rubbing the sides if you have a full size truck. There are many other ways but this is the shortest way currently. It will take you to the railroad then turn left and then your 2 nd right up what we call mountain road.

Last edited:
Reactions: Boyd

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
@The Wick - you have posted my same link from another thread. By default, the mobile site does not update the browser address since it doesn't show in the app. Press the URL Pref button on the main menu and enable continuous display you're using the site on a computer, it will then keep the address updated as you move the map and remember your preference in the future.

url.png

Reactions: Wick

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
On Sunday while driving back from Cream Ridge I noticed a large pile of rocks dumped at the white gate entrance to Forked River Mountain on Lacey Rd. Yesterday I went to the mountain for a visit and found the county or state had started to fill in the washed north side with dirt and large diameter tree trunks. The tree trunks had been sitting at the base of the mountain for some time and I thought they would have just laid them across the roads. I think they disturbed more ground and plowed over more trees then needed but I dont think anyone is driving up that anytime soon.

View from the bottom looking up. It is much higher and steeper than it looks
IMG_1369.jpg

View from the side where the Shoenberg brothers memorial is
IMG_1374.jpg

View of the bottom
IMG_1373.jpg

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
They also thinned out Mountain/Bryant Rd. on both sides all the way to the old fire tower foundation just before Jones Rd. The road which is usually pretty bad was mostly graded. I am not sure if they did that to improve the road or not. In the past they would only grade for access for the yearly Forked River Mountain clean-up around earth day. The very deep holes were starting to be filled in with the rocks I previously saw.

IMG_1380.jpg

Reactions: bobpbx and Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I may have to get there this weekend. I have other things to check on also.

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
Anyone know what their plan is for this spot? Once it’s successfully blocked off, are they going to allow people to drive up, park, and hike around or are they just prohibiting all access groups or visitors?

Craig N

Jan 16, 2021
Toms River, NJ
Yes, Going west on Lacey Rd the most common way is to turn in a narrow trail just before the guardrail going over the factory branch. You will definitely be rubbing the sides if you have a full size truck. There are many other ways but this is the shortest way currently. It will take you to the railroad then turn left and then your 2 nd right up what we call mountain road.

Is this also the best location to hike to FRM? If so can you just park in the neighboorhood that looks to be across Lacey Road? Or is FRM accessible from Rt 530 near Wells Mills Park? I don't have the luxury of off road vehicle so I will rely on my hand help Garmin GPS and hiking boots!. Thanks, Craig

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
Is this also the best location to hike to FRM? If so can you just park in the neighboorhood that looks to be across Lacey Road? Or is FRM accessible from Rt 530 near Wells Mills Park? I don't have the luxury of off road vehicle so I will rely on my hand help Garmin GPS and hiking boots!. Thanks, Craig
This is the easiest way Craig, as you say.

1621192705012.png

Reactions: Wick