Forked River Mountain

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

Took a ride to the Forked River Mountains today, the first time in a couple years. Wanted to check out the changes mentioned above. I used my dash cam to video the bypass that goes around the puddle that has been there for over 40 years. I took this around 1978 or so I believe. The video below stops for a second so you can see the exact muddy spot.

1970's.jpg

https://youtu.be/cduTnBsq-Kk

Last edited:
Reactions: SpecialEd70

WaretownMike

Explorer
Jul 16, 2013
Waretown
All,

Took a ride to the Forked River Mountains today, the first time in a couple years. Wanted to check out the changes mentioned above. I used my dash cam to video the bypass that goes around the puddle that has been there for over 40 years. I took this around 1978 or so. The video below stops for a second so you can see the exact muddy spot.

View attachment 15544

That mud was the worst- thick and sticky, and will swallow you up. I once buried a dirt bike up to the fender there and it took me an hour to pull it out

Reactions: Teegate

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was able to drive from the old fire tower location to Aserdaten and to Blacks bridge today. It is so dry all the puddles have area's that you can see dry ground. One looked a little tricky but I had no problem. Even Bull's Gut was passable.

If anyone has a capable vehicle and wants to explore that area, now is the time.

We also walked to my old camp and checked out the well we started digging 48 years ago.

The road to camp.

DSC_2036a.jpg

The well.

DSC_2037a.jpg

Reactions: SpecialEd70

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
We were even able to make it from the old fire tower location past Aserdaten to Black's bridge. Bull's Gut, which is normally flooded, was bone dry.

https://youtu.be/W9bK6CfhcpU

Last edited:

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
I was able to drive from the old fire tower location to Aserdaten and to Blacks bridge today. It is so dry all the puddles have area's that you can see dry ground. One looked a little tricky but I had no problem. Even Bull's Gut was passable.

If anyone has a capable vehicle and wants to explore that area, now is the time.

We also walked to my old camp and checked out the well we started digging 48 years ago.

The road to camp.

View attachment 15545

The well.

View attachment 15546
is that trail off of Jones road and ends at the swamp between Jones and Old Rd?

Broke Jeep Joe

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Waterford Twp
All,

Took a ride to the Forked River Mountains today, the first time in a couple years. Wanted to check out the changes mentioned above. I used my dash cam to video the bypass that goes around the puddle that has been there for over 40 years. I took this around 1978 or so I believe. The video below stops for a second so you can see the exact muddy spot.

View attachment 15544

If that was 78 or so, that truck would be relatively new. They looked just about the same from 73-79 with minor differences in the grill. Is that a firefighter license plate on the front there? I can't believe how dry the area is from your video!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
is that trail off of Jones road and ends at the swamp between Jones and Old Rd?
I was not in that area. I only drove up Jones Road straight from the old fire tower area to Black's Bridge.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
If that was 78 or so, that truck would be relatively new. They looked just about the same from 73-79 with minor differences in the grill. Is that a firefighter license plate on the front there? I can't believe how dry the area is from your video!
I would have to get out my slides to find the exact development date. But I am sure it was close to 1978 or 1979.

SpecialEd70

Jan 19, 2021
Mamchester, NJ
All,

View attachment 15544

I love this pic! Belongs on the cover of a 4wd magazine

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I see on Facebook that the steep portion of the mountain has been mulched and surrounded by logs. It actually looks pretty good.

Wick

Explorer
Mar 6, 2016
Forked River
Went to Forked River Mountain on Sunday night to watch the full moon rise. The fall "Hunters Moon" did not disappoint. Unfortunatly my cellphone camera did and created a "Bad Moon Pic Rising." It started out red and chaged to orange and then white as it rose. Jupiter was clearly visable to the east as well as a faint Saturn to the south. There were some other people there and it was very clean. It seems the large logs and mulch are preventing erosion and vehicles from driving up and down the hill. At the top of the moutain while going down the trail to the lookout this was affixed to a tree.

MoonIMG_3413.jpg
FRM IMG_3407.jpg

Reactions: Boyd and Teegate