Forked-river-mountains- Illegal Off roaders Wage Secret War With Ocean County

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I can't view this as it is for subscribers only to the Asbury Park Press. Maybe someone else can. It looks like it may be interesting.

There is acrimony between county government and off-roaders who have found themselves figuratively locked out of the Forked River Mountains.

Last edited:

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
They usually allow a fixed number of reads then lock you out. This one is different; I wonder why. Perhaps a news feed will pick it up and post it.

popeofthepines

Explorer
Mar 8, 2006
Atco
1 day ago - “That’s an $8,000 gate,” exclaimed Freeholder Director Virginia E. Haines as she inspected the latest damage last week from the front passenger seat of a Humvee from the Ocean County Sheriff’s Office. One year after Ocean County approved the $15.5 million purchase of the 7,860 .

This is the beginning of the article that i could find. i do not have a log on for this paper either

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I stopped at the gate on Lacey this past Saturday and it was in good shape. I could see that the road behind it had been apparently freshly scraped.

If they think this is going to be easy they are in for a surprise. They are going to forever struggle with keeping the gates closed and the roads in good shape. The people who want to get in will get in. They will just make their own roads. And as usual those of us who just want to get there for various reasons will suffer.

Reactions: h2ochild and 46er

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That rag has a rep; 2 strong stories, 50 small inconsequential ones, and 10,000 ads.

It may be a rag now but years ago they had great stories and articles. Many of my Pine Barren History Shorts came from there.

Reactions: 46er

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
They usually allow a fixed number of reads then lock you out. This one is different; I wonder why. Perhaps a news feed will pick it up and post it.

I am sure they know what sells and many people are interested in this. I read Business Insider every day and they started to pick various articles to keep for subscribers only.

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
I was able to read it. The county has claimed they have a photo of the perp who took down the gate, know who it is, and are eager to prosecute.
The county is also creating an electronic 'wall' using motion sensors and high-tech cameras so that they can nail people without putting up gates everywhere.
A land management plan will be in place a year from now, and it's passive recreation only.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The county is also creating an electronic 'wall' using motion sensors and high-tech cameras so that they can nail people without putting up gates everywhere.
A land management plan will be in place a year from now, and it's passive recreation only.

Sounds terrific :(

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
I haven't been in the area for over 2 years, where is this gate, the road leading to the top of the "mountain"?

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I haven't been in the area for over 2 years, where is this gate, the road leading to the top of the "mountain"?

There has been a gate there for quite some time along with concrete barricades on either side and no trespassing sign for private property, but I never saw it closed.

Last edited:

bobpbx

Piney
Staff member
Oct 25, 2002
Pines; Bamber area
There has been a gate there for quite some time along with concrete barricades on either side and no trespassing sign for private property, but I never saw it closed.

That gate, which is mostly associated with the way in to the mountain, in the 37 years I have live in Bamber, has been closed 80 to 90% of the time. Only this past year and a half has it been open for awhile. Many a time I've had to open it and close it for FRMC cleanups.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
That was always a difficult way in and I usually walked the last part. As I recall, that Lacey Road gate was always closed when I checked. I remember a time many years ago, when I had a fairly new car. Passed a guy in a Jeep who said "You're driving that nice car back here?" and just laughed. :D

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
Is this the gated road? If so that has been gated for one heck of a long time. I remember when it wasn't, but I would say that has been gated for at least 30 years. https://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.87841743062971&lng=-74.26810282867433&z=15&type=nj2015&gpx=

The other way to the "mountain" is by way of Jones Rd off 532. In the last few years, there are large water holes. I'm able to go around so I don't know how deep or if there is a firm bottom. I thought there was a new gate somewhere, but if my location is correct, that's not the case.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

That is really going to be hard to sustain. If something is out there and unattended, someone will take it out. The county is really going to have a hard time with this acquisition. I suspect they already are having concerns about it.