Forked-river-mountains- Illegal Off roaders Wage Secret War With Ocean County

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Is this the gated road? If so that has been gated for one heck of a long time. I remember when it wasn't, but I would say that has been gated for at least 30 years. https://maps.njpinebarrens.com/#lat=39.87841743062971&lng=-74.26810282867433&z=15&type=nj2015&gpx=

The other way to the "mountain" is by way of Jones Rd off 532. In the last few years, there are large water holes. I'm able to go around so I don't know how deep or if there is a firm bottom. I thought there was a new gate somewhere, but if my location is correct, that's not the case.

I assume that is the one. It was intact on Saturday unless it had already been damaged and repaired.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
The Google Guy must have been lucky, July 2016. Certainly looks well traveled.

1Jerseydevil

Explorer
Feb 14, 2009
The Google Guy must have been lucky, July 2016. Certainly looks well traveled.

Good timing, that's good. You can see the gate isn't new. I'm surprised it hasn't been torched off or a "go around" hasn't been made in all the years.

You're right about the game cameras and deer. However local government personal that would probably monitor have nothing more constructive to do. They may be the cell phone type where they can be monitored from the comfort of their cubicle. Afterword gets out they exist I can see a lot of them on Craigslist for sale, LOL

Last edited:
Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
A waste of taxpayers money. The deer will certainly keep them motion detectors busy.

Curious as to why you thought cameras were a good idea here? I really don't have an opinion one way or the other.

A couple of hidden camera's that are monitored would be cheaper.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Unless I misunderstood, you were advocating the use of cameras to control illegal activity in that other thread, yet you oppose the "electronic 'wall' using motion sensors and high-tech cameras" in the article that Bob quoted. So, I just wondered what is different about Wharton and Forked River Mountain to account for the different opinions.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I should have been more specific; 'game cameras' placed at specific problem areas would be useful, they are temporary, can be placed for the best result and can moved at will and are inexpensive. Outdoors motion sensors have a limited range, go off in windy conditions i.e. plants, branches moving, and are blocked by tree's. To build a 'wall' of them in a forested area to me is wishful thinking. I had a motion detected light out back, but took it down; now use it for the basement stairs.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Got it. But we don't really know what they have in mind... a "high tech" solution in 2019 should be a lot better than those cheap outdoor lights and I assume "wall" describes the function and not necessarily the physical configuration. I think that modern security systems use a form of computer vision/image recognition as opposed to a simple motion sensor, for example.

Then again, who knows what the low bidder on a County project will specify? ;)

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Then again, who knows what the low bidder on a County project will specify? ;)

One concern, if they do go forward, is the removal of vegetation to create unobstructed lanes for the motion detectors, kind of like sections of our southern border :eek:

Representative Will Hurd, a Republican whose district encompasses 800 miles of the Texas border, says sensor technology has come so far and gotten so cheap that the border should be blanketed with cameras, radar, and fiber-optic cable. “That is not a Star Trek scenario,” he says. “That’s something we should be able to do today.”

Yet for all its promise, surveillance technology has become a Bermuda Triangle for border security. The government has devoted a half-century and billions of dollars to creating a virtual wall, but political leaders, America’s biggest companies, and laboratories filled with rocket scientists have failed to deliver one that works.

Bloomberg Businessweek

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I have no idea what they plan to do, but I assume the goal would be to find vehicles, not people sneaking around. And there should be plenty of ways to differentiate a vehicle from a deer or the wind blowing trees. Vehicles are big, they're magnetic, they emit RFI, they make the ground vibrate, etc.

Reactions: bobpbx

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
You can do pretty much anything these days. All it takes is the right amount of $$$$$$$$. Maybe the joint base will be called in to design something. ;)

Wouldn't it be novel if an effort in providing a place for those that enjoy ORV'ing actually happened.

Last edited:
Reactions: Broke Jeep Joe

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
there should be plenty of ways to differentiate a vehicle from a deer

This article about catching illegal loggers in the Amazon reminded me of this thread. Seems like the same system could also recognize audio signatures of vehicles in restricted areas.

"Used cellphones, powered by solar panels, upload audio data. It is analyzed in real time by artificial-intelligence software capable of distinguishing the sounds of chain saws, logging trucks and other telltale audio signatures of illegal activity. The software then sends rangers instant alerts, through a specialized app that, in theory, could help them make arrests."

BTW, I'm not advocating for the installation of any surveillance equipment. Just pushing back against the notion that "it can't be done", which is based on the capabilities of old technology. :)

Last edited:

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
The problem will be when multiple people are out there all the time and the authorities have other important calls. They will skip going to check. Eventually, they will get tired of going out there for every call.

Jessica and I were at my camp site of years ago a few months back, and the old motorcycle trails deep in the woods are now used by ATV's. There is no way a ranger or the police are going to get to them or even attempt to try. Unless they have someone out there all the time the ATV's will play.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
So, your opinion has changed?

We need undercover police ORV riders. Buy a few really nice off road vehicles and head out to the play area's and get a small amount of mud on the vehicles. Then wait for the big guns to come along to show them up and bingo........ just saying.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
No change of any kind. I don't quite understand what you mean.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
In the thread I linked to, you argued that enforcement would be effective, but here you seem to be saying that it's futile? Or do you mean that it would work in Wharton but not in FRM? Or that enforcement would only be effective with dedicated undercover police on ORV's?

Anyway, I'm just pointing out that there's technology that could identify vehicles in restricted areas. How it could be implemented, whether enforcement would be effective and whether it's a good idea is another matter...

Last edited: