Fox and Groundhogs

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was riding my bicycle tonight through Haddon Heights tonight and a fox ran right in front of me across the road. Seemed completely unconcerned and just gave me a sideways glance before jumping into the brush and was gone. It is obvious they follow the streams that run through the towns from where it was coming and going.

And my moms neighbor has 5 baby groundhogs under their shed. They are quite tame.

See attachment.

Guy

Attachments

• groundhog 018.jpg
    groundhog 018.jpg
    132 KB · Views: 330

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
There's a groundhog family living in an old pile of dead brush near my driveway - they are really amusing. Not at all tame. A big one was sitting in the middle of my driveway when I came home the other night and ran when it saw me.

He decided that climbing a tree was his best bet, and that was a riot. He only wend about 5 feet up the tree and hugged it for dear life. I was laughing like crazy. So I sat quietly in my car for a few minutes and he backed his way down the tree, decided the coast was clear, and trotted back to his den.

Actually I wasn't sure if it was a woodchuck or a groundhog. But the little ones look like your photo. This big one had dark brown fur and was quite plump - had a "teddy bear" kind of look to it.

Hewey

Piney
Mar 10, 2005
Pinewald, NJ
What's the difference?

Nothing they are the same animal, my family in vermont call them woodchucks and my friends down south call them whistle pigs.

I have 2 sheds and they live under both. I like having them in my back yard, my neigbours hate them in their yards and trap and relocate them or just kill them.

I have one in my yard that likes to climb, I could't belive it when I saw it, I never knew they could climb up trees like they do.

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
How much wood could a woodchuck chuck if a woodchuck could chuck wood?

I hope I'm not the only one who used to practice saying that as a kid?

Jeff

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002

I hope I'm not the only one who used to practice saying that as a kid?

Jeff

I does not sound as nice when you use "whistle pigs" :D

Guy

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ

It really depends on the type of wood, the conditioning of the woodchuck and how far it has to chuck it. The only way to accurately settle this is to have a woodchuck chucking contest. :D

It really depends on the type of wood, the conditioning of the woodchuck and how far it has to chuck it. The only way to accurately settle this is to have a woodchuck chucking contest. :D

Oh no, Here comes PETA! You can't even toss dwarves, let alone Whistle Pigs! (Actually, "tossing pig" has been done at many cheep rib joints, but that's another story!)

"Ever notice how everything tastes "just like chicken" or it doesn't?"