Fox Catcher

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Good article, thanks for sharing and I agree with you on it being a hard choice and I also side with the birds. It should also be noted that foxes, as well as raccoons and skunks, often dig turtle nests as well. I'm sure that they also put a dent in the diamondback terrapin population at the shore.

I agree with much of what he said about the foxes at the shore but I do hope that people don't read the article and extrapolate what he's saying about foxes to other regions such as the Pine Barrens or Piedmont: for example, in these regions foxes do have natural predators besides us (i.e. coyote). Some of his writing was a bit inflammatory. I think that it appeals to people more when something grabs their emotions and they can connect on that level with it but I am wondering why he chose some of his wording-even after careful consideration I'm not ready to condemn fishing as a pastime of "maiming and killing fish".

Also, I think that when considering the ecological benefits of the fox it should not go without consideration that red foxes are such effective mousers that studies have shown an inverse relationship between the population density of foxes and the number of ticks in an area carrying Lyme.

https://www.nytimes.com/2017/08/02/science/ticks-lyme-disease-foxes-martens.html

All of that considered, hopefully between trapping, sane management, and responsible relocation, the fox population at the shore is reduced enough so that they no longer threaten the plovers and oystercatchers (and terrapins too).