Franklin Parker Preserve Red Trail Q

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I wanted to check in here for some opinions on the red trail on the FPP. I was planning on going out there on Sunday, but with the recent rains I was wondering if any parts of the trail would be impassable or just outright too muddy to walk comfortably with family? Also, how's the tick situation right now? I know that nothing is guaranteed but we see a decrease in activity up here this time of year. Thank you for any help!

-Chilehead

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
You can hike the east part out of the parking lot but the west side will be underwater. Also the keyboard crossings will be deep. We mix the trails up to get a good hike. Parker South Gate east is dry but the section by the river is closed again. The teacher's cabin is a nice picnic stop. There are 4 chairs, a table and bench there.
It is very wet everywhere and the rivers are up.
No tics!

noboat

Explorer
Feb 1, 2010
Waterford Works
Haven't had a tick or seen a tick since mid-summer here in Pestletown. The dog and I are both tick magnets. I was chigged a few times in September but they're history now.

As for mud and water any time of year anywhere in the Pines, I don't go anywhere without these:
https://www.lacrossefootwear.com/burly-trac-lite-18-forest-green-800g.html
My son lives in them, I have two pairs and my wife has one.
Good boot fit like a glove...but there a little hard to get off

noboat

Explorer
Feb 1, 2010
Waterford Works
This thing works on my heaviest boots, saw the same boot puller used by Queen Elizabeth in "The Queen" after she was done "stalking" elk.

https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00TY2MLES/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1
I just use this

sticks--y+shaped.JPG

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
Thank you much for your help! I think we'll put it off until it's dryer out. Any issues with that red trail in more 'normal' precipitation conditions?

T

Toothy Critter

there is a section that stays pretty wet but there is a bypass for it. Great walk under normal conditions, except in the Summer.....BZZZZZZ Bzzzzz BzzzzzBz

Last edited by a moderator:

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
there is a section that stays pretty wet but there is a bypass for it. Great walk under normal conditions, except in the Summer.....BZZZZZZ Bzzzzz BzzzzzBz

Thank you! I've hiked the yellow and white trails a few times (first time with Manumuskin and Whippoorbill). Only done small parts of other trails while naturalizing. Really looking forward to hiking this section.