Franklin Preserve - Chatsworth

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I don't know the plan but could find out. I do know the reason for not allowing hunting is that the area is not patrolled by conservation officers. In order for the property to be patrolled by CO's it would have to be turned into a wildlife managment area, similar to what happened to the forked river mountains. Right now they can't allow hunting because they can't enforce laws. I'm sure hunting may be allowed to a few to keep the numbers down, but I'm sure there is a plan. Many of the guys who work out there are plant lovers so I'm sure keeping deer numbers down are high priority.

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
I was told that deer hunting was allowed, but had to be done in an organized fashion, by members of clubs that were also involved in volunteer efforts on the preserve. This was a few years ago and I'm not sure if it's still their policy.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Deer stands abound there! Some of the biggest and best deer stands are right in the middle of the preserve. Remember this one from our PBX hike there in 2004. I climbed up and forgot to close the door when I came down. Oops!

IMG_4538.JPG

Guy

MartGBC

Scout
Sep 10, 2008
Glendora
I emailed the NJCF to find out thier policy. I was wondering what it was because I have heard so many different things. Drangocjo, Game Wardens can patrol private property. I know for a fact that they have done down it the New Gretna-Tuckerton area. TeeGate it looks like it may not be used anymore with that board hanging loose on the bottom right of it. I have found treestands in places where you would have thought nobody has been.

onehand

Explorer
Apr 11, 2005
potter co. pa.
Deer stands abound there! Some of the biggest and best deer stands are right in the middle of the preserve. Remember this one from our PBX hike there in 2004. I climbed up and forgot to close the door when I came down. Oops!

IMG_4538.JPG

Guy

looks like an elivated out house !

beware of the round hole in the bottom ?

GermanG

Piney
Apr 2, 2005
Little Egg Harbor
One of the reasons for the wide jurisdiction of conservation officers is the long standing principle in this country that wild game belongs to the people, not the landowner. It all goes back to that sore spot over the king and other wealthy landowners trying to bust chops of poor peasants for stealing their venison chops. So a CO can pretty much enforce the state and federal hunting laws on most any private or public property. They are spread pretty thin however, with normally only two or three officers at best in each county, so they tend to focus their attention on areas that have higher concentrations of hunters such as the WMAs.