Friday Failed Frog Find

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Glad we have this all straighted out. I have to change my records now :)

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I was in Lebanon today and came across this bridge where the water was ruuning over it. The beavers downstream are causing major problems. The road by Pomeroy Crossroads is completely flooded by the beavers and the state is not solving the problem. They have to know about it because there is old police tape and barrels there.

IMG_9725.JPG

We saw this large turtle on 563 today near the Lee property. Plenty of crushed ones also. We helped this one across.

IMG_9728.JPG

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

This evening Jessica and I spent quite a bit of time doing various things that I wanted to get done. After doing a few of them we spent the rest of the evening looking for Pine Barren Tree Frogs. On the way there we found this turtle right in the middle of a busy road . It appears she was laying eggs or about to. There was a vehicle down the dead end road that meets up with her and they had to have ran over her to get out. I decided to leave her there and let them take responsibility.

IMG_9746.JPG

IMG_9747.JPG

IMG_9748.JPG

We arrived at the tree frog location and set up out chairs for the wait. We were early and wanted to relax for a while and drink cold water. Along comes a ranger don't you know! He informed me I was not allowed to park on a side road and I assume he wanted me to move my car. I told him I have been doing this for 40 years and we were just waiting for tree frogs. He was somewhat knowledgable on them and after talking with him a short time he told us to have a good evening and he left. I saw him pass by one other time later. So I have to say I am impressed on how active they have been and how they have not given me a hard time. I am pleased.

Back to the frogs. We waited about 30 minutes to hear them and it took me another 30 minutes to narrow one down. Those suckers can really confuse your head! I was looking for it on the ground until I turned my head and realized it was 8 foot up in a tree. I was fully stretched out taking these photo's and it was almost completely dark.

IMG_9762b.jpg

And a full size view here. You may have to click the photo to make it larger.

http://teegate.njpinebarrens.com/05272012/IMG_9762a.jpg

IMG_9792a.jpg

I have video which is mainly sound taken just three inches away as it was honking. I will post later.

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Very nice photos, Guy. I got ticketed by the park police this week for not wearing my seatbelt. Anyway, here is a pic of a juvenile black rat I caught in my yard a year or two ago. (as there was discussion on the ID of snake seen at LTH house)

00514.JPG

00613.JPG

Jeff

manumuskin

Piney
Jul 20, 2003
millville nj
www.youtube.com
I never wear a seat belt in the woods,how will you ever get out of the vehicle fast enough to catch a snake?Sounds to me like they are real short on funds.How fast does anyone really drive in the woods?better make sure my flatulence permit is up to date.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Here is the video. It is mostly sound but you can catch a few views in it.

Guy

dragoncjo

Piney
Aug 12, 2005
camden county
I saw more park police this weekend then I've seen in all my years going to the pines combined. I'm glad to see them and Guy I let them know about our friend from Saturday just in case in comes through the area.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
He must be going other places than one so it is good that they know. That car is embedded in my head forever.:mad:

Guy

NJChileHead

Explorer
Dec 22, 2011
I saw more park police this weekend then I've seen in all my years going to the pines combined. I'm glad to see them and Guy I let them know about our friend from Saturday just in case in comes through the area.

Hopefully they are hiring, maybe I'll fill out an application.

Friend from saturday? Did you see a bear?