Friendship Bog Stone and More

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
All,

This morning Jessica and I visited the Chatsworth Cemetery to photograph the grave of Harvey Bozarth Jr. If you read the “Vanishing Breed” article posted by UH60Chick you would remember the photo of the wooden box sitting at the Chatsworth Cemetery in the article.

IMG_0823.JPG

I then stopped into the Post Office in Chatsworth seeking info on the owner of the property where the $100 bridge is located, but they could not help me out. From there we headed past Apple Pie hill to look for one of the few remaining Friendship Bog stones I have not been able to find. I am closing in on visiting every stone or monument on the boundary and was unclear as to where this one was. The map I had had it penciled in but in two previous attempts I can up empty. It is located near the small “lake” between Apple Pie Hill and Eagle, close by the location of where the Pine Crest Gun Club once was.

Here is the lake.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=39.790688,-74.584317&ie=UTF8&t=h&z=17&iwloc=addr

If you have not been by there recently you will see that off road vehicles have been entering the lake and making a mess of it. Portions of that lake are owned by the state, and portions of it are the Parker Preserve. Fortunately they together have found a way to end the access to the lake. They have semi recently block the lake off at the road.

IMG_0829.JPG

IMG_0830.JPG

IMG_0831.JPG

IMG_0832.JPG

While looking for the stone Jessica stepped on this little guy.

IMG_0833.JPG

And in the end it appears the map I had is incorrect. In fact the survey of the Parker Preserve may be incorrect. I just can’t prove it. We found the stone much farther away from where my info shows it to be. In any event this find will help me find some more.

IMG_0836.JPG

IMG_0834.JPG

And after a few other stops we headed to this location for my newest “Then And Now”. Does the location look familiar from 1978 and today?

Tabernacle1978_2008.jpg

Guy

MarkBNJ

Piney
Jun 17, 2007
Long Valley, NJ
www.markbetz.net
People driving their vehicles through an area like that really gets me steamed. I'm not sure that little cable will keep them out for long either.

I'm curious, Guy, as you how you know when a little rock lying in the turf like that is one you're looking for? Is it position? Or is the stone itself described somewhere?

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
People driving their vehicles through an area like that really gets me steamed. I'm not sure that little cable will keep them out for long either.

I'm curious, Guy, as you how you know when a little rock lying in the turf like that is one you're looking for? Is it position? Or is the stone itself described somewhere?

A little history. The Friendship Bogs tract was not purchased by the state in the 50's, so because of that the state had to survey the edges of the property where Wharton owned. The Lee Brothers, Anthony DeMarco (Rocco DeMarco), Fredrick Winfield Haines, Pinecrest Buck Club, and Golfview Incorporated were the adjacent properties in the Apple Pie Hill and Eagle area’s. The state while examining Wharton’s deed realized they owned 1/5 of a particular portion of Friendship Bogs, and as you know the state wants their cut. So they created an “arbitration” line and took what they felt they owned. There is a possibility the state discussed this with them which you would expect with arbitration. I don’t know the answer to that but I suspect they talked and this might give us a clue.

I acquired a survey map titled “Plotting of Deeds” for the Friendship bog tract.

deeds.jpg

arb.jpg

Because of this arbitration the survey map in this area was penciled in most likely after arbitration was over, or after the state decided what they were going to do. Some info was left out causing me some problems. I later acquired a full hand penciled survey when Friendship Bogs was purchased by individuals who were going to build homes and called the place Friendship Forest Lakes. This survey shows the distance it should be from a state monument to the stone I found today. It claims it is 322.96 feet away. Multiple times I returned looking for this stone and came up empty. Yesterday, looking over 1995 aerials of this lake I noticed you can still see the survey lines from 1982. They did not match in distance shown in this penciled survey.

ffl.jpg

So today I visited the area where the aerials show it to be, and sure enough I found it. It is double the distance the survey shows in all of the info I have. The state must have the correct info, but almost everything I had was wrong. So now using this stone I may be able to find one other that is the “Point of Beginning” for the Friendship Bogs tract. This is very close to Apple Pie Hill which may surprise most people. That property is quite massive.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Where is that last photo Guy, Tabernacle?

Sure is, or at least I hope so. I had my doubts at first. Russo's is just to the right in the photo's. The first photo was taken out of the window of my Land Cruiser by my friend as we drove past. Many of his photo's were taken that way.

BTW, it is hard to see in the left photo, but just to the left of the house is a street sign with the arrow showing the road curving to the right. I can't remember but I am betting the main road for years was the road that turns to the right towards Conte's Market. When going straight on Carranza you were leaving the main road. However, there never was a stop sign when I went though there, but maybe at one time there was. Just like the Tuckerton Road shown in Beck’s book in Marlton, the more important road eventually takes favor and the roads change priority. That is if I am correct on the location.:confused:

arrow.jpg

Guy

woodjin

Piney
Nov 8, 2004
Near Mt. Misery
Nice report Guy. I used to pass that "lake" all the time going to carranza by way of Pine crest and I noticed in more recent years that some one had been driving a truck or something around in it. This started after the water level significantly droped, and for some reason never recovered, thus making it more inviting for some on to ride around in.

hopefully the cable and sign will discourage some yahoo.

Nice find on the stone!

Jeff

RednekF350

Piney
Feb 20, 2004
Pestletown, N.J.
Nice report Guy.
Boundary line agreements are formally recorded, just as deeds are, at the County Court House in which the agreement was executed.
Knowing that the two parties were the State and Evans and Wills Inc. is very helpful.
You should be able to locate that document.
Scott