Friendship bogs history

ed

Dec 31, 1969
Can anyone help me find out more about Friendship bogs?

I've seen the granit monument, but I'm interested in when it began, was it dug by hand or machine, when was it abandoned/turned over to the state, ect.

Thanks,

Ed

westyvw

Dec 31, 1969
Best book that I know of is 'Heart of the Pines'. Check the book store at Batsto, price is around $50, but worth every penny!

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ed,

Where is this granite monument? Can you access it from Carranza road?

Guy

ed

Dec 31, 1969
Guy,

Take Carranza Rd past the memorial, it's now dirt, to Friendship. Friendship is where you go over a bridge and the road takes a sharp left to Speedwell. The Friendship area is very open, with bogs to the left and right as you go over the bridge, and the ruins of Friendship are directly in front of you. I remember in the late 60's when there were some buildings still standing, with squatters living there and chickens and pigs running around.

Anyway, as you cross the bridge, go straight, past the ruins and enter the woods. The roads fine for a car, I take mine there weekly. There are many small roads off to the side but at about 2.5 miles in they're be a larger road on the left, take it. Continue for a short distance and make the first left you can. There's a clearing there with many foundations and the granite marker.

Here's a Terraserver image of the Friendship Bogs, north is up.

http://terraserver.homeadvisor.msn.com/image.asp?S=12&T=1&X=669&Y=5499&Z=18&W=2

The road from Carranza comes in at the top and turns east toward Speedwell.
At the bottom the road in the forest goes through an s turn, directly east of that is a rectangular square. That's where the monument is.

On your way out, try hiking the bogs, either side. At the least I would recommend the second bog north of the monument. On your way out it would be about half way back to Carranza-Speedwell road. It's a larger road on your right, with a large pine tree across it. There are beaver lodges there.

I just got a kayak and I'll probably be on some of the bogs this weekend. I'll be driving either a black Yukon or a red Saturn.

Let me know how you make out.

Ed

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ed,

The reason why I never went straight at Friendship is because that house was there with people living there. I thought it was their property. Other than two visits past Friendship in the past few month's, I have not been there in years.

I may get there this weekend, and if I do I will look for you. I can't guarantee I will be there.

Thanks for the info.

Guy

BarryC

Explorer
Dec 31, 1969
members.tripod.com
I've been to Friendship several times and am very familiar with the cellar holes in the field by the bogs. But I've always come from Speedwell. I live near Egg Harbor City. I come up 563 and make a left at Speedwell, and Friendship is at the "T" intersection there. So from what you say I should make a left and go 2.5 miles and then follow the rest of the directions to get to this monument? Sounds interesting. I'll do that one of these days. I have a whole bunch of USGS Survey maps. I'll see what I find 2-3 miles to the south of Friendship.
Thanks,
Barry

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ed,

I was at Friendship bogs today and found the monument and marker with no problem. I also stumbled upon a box turtle right next to the chair on the way to the marker from the monument.

We then explored the second bog that you mentioned and saw the beaver dens and my daughter saw a snake. We hear what must have been frogs croaking in the swamp, but as soon as they heard us they stopped. The next thing we know there is a woman and two men walking right near us, and they headed out toward the leaning tree.

My odometer puts the s curves at less than two miles so with the terra server maps I was able to find the proper road to the monument.

Thanks for the info on everything mentioned above. You can view all of my pictures and more at the link below. They are somewhat large.

With that in mind, do any of you think my photo's are too large to download? I have a cable modem and they download instantly, so I get a different perspective than a dial up. I like my photo's large, but if you are having problems please tell me.

http://mywebpages.comcast.net/teegate/41302/

Guy

ed

Dec 31, 1969
Guy,

I'm glad you found the monument. I think your pictures are fine, they download quickly (DSL) and I like the detail. I even took copies of the picture of the jeep on the tracks at the Batsto bridge with me just to do my own on site comparison. What kind of camera do you use? I'm assuming it's digital, the detail and colors are great.

One of the reasons I enjoy your pictures so much is that they remind me of all the fun I had (and crazy things I did) in the pines during my "youth". I'm 52 now, but can still do pretty much what I used to, with a little pain. Unfortunately I took too few pictures back then.
It seems odd now, but I used to go hiking or canoeing back then and didn't give a thought as to where or when I would come out. I think the uncertainty added to the adventure.

I walked the bogs on the other side of the road on Sunday morning. As you can see from the arial photograph, it is very extensive. There are MANY more inhabited beaver lodges. One is larger than 3 of my GMC Yukons put together. I especially like exploring there in the winter. You can tell the inhabited burrows by the ice crystals aroun the vent holes. More importantly I can go where I want wothout worrying about tics.

I'm also planning on going there some evening in late may when the moon is out. The noise form the frogs and other wild life is magical.

Ed

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ed,

I saw the other bogs on the map, and if I had more time I would have walked them also. But the one you mentioned is still a very nice place. Since the water table is low, we walked around the right side of it, where the car hood is. I would be out there every evening and weekends but the congestion of traffic and distance makes if impossible. Just getting home on Saturday was tough. Medford, Marlton, and Cherry Hill are frustrating.

I see the passion for the pines in your letters, and find that refreshing.

The full moon is on Sunday May 26th, Memorial day weekend. (Observed)
If you want a crony, write me.

My camera in the past was a Minolta SRCSC2. My friends had the same camera and it took far superior photo's than mine. I had a lot of trouble with it. Now I have a Canon Powershot A20 2.1 megapixal digital. It was $299. I am thrilled with it.

http://www.powershot.com/powershot2/a20_a10/index.html

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Ed,

I have corresponded with a surveyor who has done work in the Wharton State Forrest and surrounding area, and he says that he believes that the marker you found at Friendship Bogs is probably a state survey marker for their property. Here is a part of his letter.

Guy

The photo you sent the link for is of a NJ State Forest Boundary Monument.
I am guessing it is somewhere in Batsto or the Wharton Tract. I have seen
similar ones along their property in Hammonton, Batsto and Chatsworth.
These monuments were not tied in to the geodetic network. I believe they
were set in the 1930's or 1940's. I believe the 263W may identify the
parcel, and the L may signify which corner of the parcel it is.