Frolicking Otters

dogg57

Piney
Jan 22, 2007
Southern NJ
southjerseyphotos.com
A playful, social animal, the river otter is not an uncommon sight along the Jersey Shore, especially in winter.
What they are: Otters are mustelids, belonging to a group of mammals that includes weasels, mink and badgers. They’re specially adapted for life in and near lakes, rivers and estuaries, with long, streamlined bodies, a thick, insulated coat of fur and webbed feet on short legs.
New Jersey’s rivers, reservoirs and coastal estuaries are home to lots of river otters, but because they’re reclusive, many people don’t realize they’re around. From spring to fall, they tend to be nocturnal, but they’re much more active during the day in winter.
Look for them in undeveloped waterfront areas, especially where there’s a steep bank, as opposed to a sloping sandy beach. Studying up on their tracks and scat may help you pinpoint likely otter habitats. I’ve seen otters swimming and playing in Manahawkin’s Mill Creek, and others I know have spotted them in the Metedeconk and Navesink rivers.

http://manchester-nj.patch.com/articles/otter

kayak karl

Explorer
Sep 18, 2008
Swedesboro, NJ
i love seeing them, but i'm never sure what i'm looking at. do we have beavers and otters? do otters build dams? can they survive in the same large pond?