Garmin "Basecamp" software released

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
Garmin has released the first version of its new Basecamp software, which is replacing Mapsource for use with their topo products.

If you already own the DVD version of US Topo 2008, this is a free download. It will also work with Garmin's new 24k topo maps (DVD version only) which are available for some of the Western States. It will NOT work with City Navigator or the old version of US Topo.

Windows version is here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4435
Macintosh version is here: http://www8.garmin.com/support/download_details.jsp?id=4449

Here's some info about the program:

Introducing BaseCamp™: Garmin’s® New Tool For Planning and Reviewing All of Your Outdoor Adventures

Posted January 14, 2009 | 07:05 AM in Outdoor/Fitness

OLATHE, Kan./January 14, 2009/Business Wire — Garmin International Inc., a unit of Garmin Ltd. (NASDAQ: GRMN), the global leader in satellite navigation, announced today the introduction of Garmin BaseCamp – a utility that allows users to plan and manage trips, routes, tracks, and waypoints and transfer them between the computer and applicable Garmin outdoor handheld device.

“BaseCamp brings a whole new set of features to hikers, hunters, geocachers, and anyone else who wants to maximize their experience with their Garmin GPS,” said Dan Bartel, Garmin’s vice president of worldwide sales. “This new utility lets users view, organize, and transfer their data more quickly and efficiently – allowing them to make the most of their time exploring the great outdoors.”

BaseCamp lets users view both 24K and 100K topo maps in 2D or 3D renderings. Users no longer are confined with a “north up” map – it can be rotated to any orientation. Another convenient window depicts the elevation profile currently displayed. And with Track Draw, users can trace a fluid track and get an immediate elevation profile to determine the difficulty of their hike.

Because a picture is worth a thousand words, BaseCamp supports geotagging of user-generated photos, to know exactly what the scenery is like at any given location – simply click on a map icon to view an enlarged version of a photo. Users can even view their data in Google Earth. The growing legions of Geocachers will also find utility in BaseCamp – the utility fully supports all of the information presented on geocaching.com.

Whether you’re planning an adventure or returning home from one, BaseCamp allows the complete transfer of maps, waypoints, routes, and geotagged photos back and forth between the utility and the applicable Garmin outdoor handheld device. Users can compile their information into easily-identifiable folders as well, for later retrieval. As a backup, BaseCamp can print out configurable, full-page, color maps for viewing at any time.

BaseCamp is compatible on both PC and Mac computers. Beginning in the first quarter of 2009, the utility will ship with all new TOPO U.S. 24K DVD and TOPO U.S. 100K DVD products. For those who currently own TOPO U.S. 2008, BaseCamp will be available for a free download at www.garmin.com at the end of the first quarter 2009. For unit compatibility and more information, visit www.garmin.com

Chrisr

Explorer
Sep 14, 2008
Cinnaminson, NJ
Boyd, I have some routes and waypoints in my 60Csx. If I download the new Basecamp software will I lose them or will they still be there??

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Basecamp is just another program like Mapsource. Downloading and installing won't affect your GPS. Just like mapsource, you need to choose what to transfer to and from the GPS. I have not tried Basecamp myself, but I'm assuming it's also like Mapsource and when you send new waypoints/tracks/routes/maps from the computer to the GPS, it will erase the existing ones.

If you have important stuff on your GPS it's always a good idea to back it up from time to time. You can do that using Mapsource, just receive everything from the GPS, then save it in a file on your computer.

Also remember, you need to have US Topo 2008 installed on your computer or Basecamp will not work.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Also remember, you need to have US Topo 2008 installed on your computer or Basecamp will not work.

Boyd,

How do I do that on the Mac? I have Topo 2008 and all the files are Windows. There is nothing to install. The Basecamp program will not run without it.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I now see that MapConverter is needed to do this. I will give it a try.

Guy

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Boyd,

I finally was able to get the maps from my Windows partition by reformatting my external Firewire drive to Fat. However; I wasted my time since this Garmin software is about as poor as all their other crap. I will stick to Terrabrower and Ben's site.

Can I use your maps with it?

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I have not tried Basecamp myself yet... and am less excited by the prospect after your "review" :)

I don't think my maps will work properly with Basecamp, just like Mapsource. The user-defined styles which I rely on heavily don't display properly in Garmin's computer software; only the GPS itself is capable of interpreting that. Too bad, but that's just a limit to the way they built their software.

Creating maps which work in Mapsource and Basecamp is not trivial and I have opted out of it because even after you go to all the trouble, they won't display properly on the computer.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
It basically is the Roadtrip software with almost the same look. So I suspect it is an updated version of Roadtrip.

Guy