Garmin BirdsEye now offers USGS topo's

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
This is nice, since it lets you load USGS 24k maps for the whole state, unlike the "custom maps" that I've posted that are limited to about 20x20 miles. Separate subscription from the aerial imagery though, so you need to spend $30.

BirdsEye™ TOPO, U.S. and Canada

$ 29.99 USD
Downloadable

• Provides highly detailed 1:24,000* scale raster USGS maps and 1:50,000 scale raster NRC maps.
  • Features an unlimited amount of downloadable raster maps for 1 year using BaseCamp software.
  • Allows users to layer Garmin vector maps (such as TOPO 100K, TOPO 24K or City Navigator®) on their handheld for a real-life view of roads, buildings and terrain.

https://buy.garmin.com/shop/shop.do?cID=255&pID=98816

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I am assuming you can't use the aerial along with the topo. If that was available I would be purchasing it.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I was actually wondering about that myself. But this is weird... today that link no longer works, and if you go to Garmin's site and look at the BirdsEye page, there is no mention of it. They are announcing some other new products next week, so maybe this page went online before it was supposed to?

[edit] See this: http://gpstracklog.com/2011/05/garmin-birdseye-topo-us-and-canada.html

Rich purchased the subscription but it didn't work. Next week I'm sure he will be posting more about this and I imagine he will comment about whether it can be used along with the aerial imagery. If not, you could always post a question over there.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
That link did not work this morning the first time I tried it, however, as 46er said it did work the second time I did. I was going to post to you that the link did not work but when it worked I stopped. Now it does not work for me.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Well something is messed up, and I guess we need to wait until after the holidays. There's more discussion on this at the GPSTrackLog link I posted. FWIW, Rich says that the new firmware for the Oregon should let you choose between the 24k topo's and aerial imagery, so that's good.

Rich Owings says:
May 29, 2011 at 8:03 am
The newest firmware for the Oregon/Dakota/62/78 series seems to have anticipated your concern…
“Improved support for BirdsEye™ Satellite Imagery (each provider’s imagery can be configured independently)”

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
Well something is messed up, and I guess we need to wait until after the holidays. There's more discussion on this at the GPSTrackLog link I posted. FWIW, Rich says that the new firmware for the Oregon should let you choose between the 24k topo's and aerial imagery, so that's good.

Nice! That will make the Oregon and all others that can use both ..... the GPS units to buy.

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
They are still having problems with the rollout of this service. People who have subscribed are not yet able to access the maps, and Garmin is now saying it won't be available until Friday due to server issues...

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
There is not a update to allow us to run both topo and aerial yet?????

Guy

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
The latest firmware is supposed to let you do this - see my post above: http://forums.njpinebarrens.com/threads/garmin-birdseye-now-offers-usgs-topos.7281/#post-85740

But if you read the the comments over at GPSTracklog, even though Rich has gotten his topo maps working, the rest of us still don't seem to have the option to purchase yet. They look good to me, but I'm going to pass for the time being, since I'm not sure how long I will keep my Oregon 400t, which is now over 3 years old, and subscriptions are not transferable.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
....and subscriptions are not transferable.

Garmin needs to update their subscription policy to real world standards. A small fee, or none at all, to transfer a license to a new unit doesn't seem to be too much to ask. They just might sell more hardware that way.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Well that would be nice of course (free would be even better), but I don't have a problem with spending $27 (including the 10% discount you get when registering) to get unlimited downloads when I buy a new GPS. At least you don't have to download the files again, you just need to unlock them for the new GPS.

Their policy is clearly stated, and if you don't like it, you shouldn't buy their products. They are already living in the "real world" and the market will decide whether the policy is correct. As for selling hardware they have - by far - the lion's share of the market already.

Not trying to pick on you or shill for Garmin, but since I moderate a GPS forum and follow most of the others, I just get a little weary of all the people who seem to expect something for nothing. I say, "let the market decide".

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Opinions vary :) It is not getting something for nothing, you already paid for it, plus give them bonus bucks when you buy a new unit. Just sayin....