Garmin Birdseye - version 2

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
Ben's Branch, Stephen Creek
There' been a lot of discussion recently about Garmin updating their Birdseye aerial imagery and people say it's a big improvement. Here in NJ, in the past they used the state's 2007-2008 Orthophotography (as seen here on NJPB Maps for example) however they reduced the resolution from the original 1 foot per pixel to 2 feet per pixel. Still, I always felt it was quite good.

So has anyone downloaded the new imagery yet? I think it only became available within the last one or two weeks. Makes me wonder if they have actually made things worse and gone to some other source...

ecampbell

Piney
Jan 2, 2003
It took me months to get the imagery I wanted, their site is soooo slow. I'd hate to go through that again, almost worthless, I still curse them and would not bother again.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I let two different subscriptions run out, but I had already downloaded most of the areas I want in NJ. I sort of lost interest in aerial imagery after the novelty of having it on my GPS wore off. :) Haven't even put any of it on my Montana for over a year.

Teegate

Administrator
Site Administrator
Sep 17, 2002
I love the imagery and felt it was a great investment. However, Ed is so right when he said it was slow. It took me months to get what I wanted in high quality. And every now and then while walking in the woods I find myself looking at a partially blank map where I missed a few sections. I still prefer the 1995 that Boyd made me but they only cover most of Wharton.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
Users are also claiming that Birdseye downloads are faster now, so maybe it's worth a try if you still have a subscription?

I erased all the birdseye files I had, just took up too much room and were rarely used. Glad I got the service with a discount :D Might consider it again if they were useable on the NUVI's with their larger screens.

Boyd

Administrator
Staff member
Site Administrator
Jul 31, 2004
I would too.... but it ain't gonna happen IMO.

BTW, you don't need to purchase anything to download Birdseye to your computer. Just connect a compatible GPS (like an Oregon 450) and you should be able to download. You only have to purchase if you want to use it on the GPS.

46er

Piney
Mar 24, 2004
Coastal NJ
I would too.... but it ain't gonna happen IMO.

BTW, you don't need to purchase anything to download Birdseye to your computer. Just connect a compatible GPS (like an Oregon 450) and you should be able to download. You only have to purchase if you want to use it on the GPS.

I took them off the Oregon, still have them in BaseCamp and use them occasionally, but for me it's easier to use GE. Probably more current as well.